Problems with parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KOADOG, Sep 1, 2011.

1. rauckr

rauckr Member

Cannot install Parallels Tools

I installed Parallels 7 on my MacBook Pro. The install seemed to go smoothly and I opened my Windows 7 virtual machine and attempted to update Parallels Tools. This installation failed at 40% complete. I spent hours on the phone with Parallels support where they remotely took control of my machine. They were unable to resolve the issue and kicked it up to second level support. The original support agent felt that the problem might be my failure to uninstall VMware Tools when I made the switch to Parallels ~ one year ago although Version 6 had no issue. He removed it but that did not fix the problem. He also removed the previous copy of Parallels Tools (Parallels 6 version) and that did no good. He tried disabling my Kaspersky Internet Security software but no joy. He deleted a number of files including some temporary directory contents with no effect. My gut feeling is this is related to a Windows Installer issue that I've occasionally seen on other application installs. The error message points to a registry key I do not have the right to modify even though I am logged in as an administrator.

I later received an e-mail saying the second level support group was studying the problem and would get in touch when they finished. I use the computer in my business and could not wait for it to be functional. I do daily backups of the boot hard drive with SuperDuper and I restored the boot drive back to the previous day's state and I am in business again with Parallels 6. I use Time Machine to backup my external data drive but not my boot drive based on the recommendation that Time Machine is not a good tool to backup drives containing virtual machines.

Has anyone else had the Parallels Tools issue?

2. KOADOG

KOADOG Junior Member

Report # is 10032065

3. JPearn

JPearn Member

I too have the issue with the extra long boot into Lion after installing Parallels 7. Before it was around 5 seconds, now its 14 seconds and this goes back to 5 if I uninstall Parallels. This is with a MBP 2.53 late 2008 8GB RAM, but no filevault.

After extensive searching / troubleshooting I noticed extra Parallels services loading at boot time from the logs which seem to be causing the delay.

I forgot to mention this has also increased my shutdown time . . .

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. Ha YoungL

Ha YoungL Bit poster

Same here... My 2011 MBA 13" used to take to boot only 15~17 sec but after installed Parallels 7, it took more than 30 sec. Besides, When shut down, it took a lot longer than before. To verify, I uninstalled Parallels 7 and it all went back to normal... However, after installed it again, it turns back to slow startup and shutdown again...

I feel like I lost best benefit to have MBA. Please do something Parallels.

5. jmeyer

jmeyer Junior Member

Me Too

I'm having the same problem with long boot-ups and repeat boots of MacOS Lion after upgrading to Parallels 7 yesterday.

6. J_Browne

J_Browne Bit poster

MBA Late 2010 same problem

Same problem here with a MBA Late 2010 - no issues until version 7 installed - Apple technician quickly identified the problem to be linked to Parallels. This needs to be resolved quickly, already spent too much time diagnosing and trying to rectify the problem, and of course there is the matter of $60.

7. RufusX5

RufusX5 Bit poster

Hi Sandro, do you have any kind of update for this issue following on from several of us sending over problems logs etc. Such a shame since once you get the laptop booted and logged in, Parallels 7 is an excellent update and noticeably quicker in itself - it would be a severe disappointment to have to revert back to version 6 and seek a refund.

Thanks in advance.

8. RufusX5

RufusX5 Bit poster

In case it helps with any investigation that is hopefully going on from the Parallels Dev team, I just did a quick verify disk using disk utility and it threw up an error. Rebooting with CMD-R and doing a repair fixed this and the machine rebooted cleanly with only ONE login prompt and then straight to desktop. However, upon re-starting the laptop this resulted in the double boot issue and running verify disk once again throws up the same error. This was repeatable - it's a bit worrying if this issue with Parallels 7 is having an effect on the integrity of the disk itself, though I'm not an expert. I'm now at the stage of removing parallels 7 and going back to 6 as I would quite like my disk to remain intact!

9. BigM

BigM Bit poster

Here is the reason for the delays!

Hi everybody,

the reason why OS X is delayed at boot or shutdown with Parallels Desktop 7 installed is simple. Parallels installs a LaunchDaemon service called ParallelsDispatcherService in /Library/LaunchDaemons which starts when you boot up your Mac and is necessary to run Parallels. This is not new, but what is new with Parallels 7 is that this service creates links to all the kernel extensions that come with Parallels in /System/Library/Extensions and by that or additionally triggers the kextd from OS X to update the kextcache in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches. I have tried several ways to circumvent this updating, but if you launch the ParallelsDispatcherService, and you have to if you want to use Parallels, OS X will update the kextcache and by that drastically delaying the boot up and shutdown times.

So, Parallels Team, please fix that! This is not the case with ParallelsDispatcherService from Parallels 6.

10. MJB

MJB Bit poster

Add me to those having the delay..

I too noticed an extended shut down (3-4x as long to shutdown) and extended boot (2x as long). When I boot into single user mode command-s I notice a lot more "stuff" being loaded. I assume this "stuff" is Parallels boot files since the only change I have made to my system was the v6 to v7 upgrade. This is quite annoying and in part a downgrade in my opinion. Please fix this...

11. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  12. lantzie

lantzie Bit poster

add me to the list of "dual" rebooting... this is not acceptable Parallels
    fix this now!

13. JunwenH

JunwenH Bit poster

exactly, PD7 slow down the system.

I'm talking about the speed of host. I have SSD installed in my iMac and MBP, they only took 15-20 sec to boot into system before but now it takes about 30-40 sec. 2x as long.

14. lantzie

lantzie Bit poster

my fix -> uninstall parallels, install VMware Fusion -> import virtual hdd ;)

15. Hanvog

Hanvog Bit poster

Extremely slow booting MacBook after PD7 upgrade

I have a similar problem after installing PD7 on my MacBook Pro 15 250 SSD (2011) machine. With PD6 my booting time was 23 seconds and after installing PD7 it takes forever, the first lion screen appears after 1:36 minutes but is "frozen" and after almost 7 minutes my MacBook comes alive! When deinstalling to PD6 my MacBook works fine again.
    I have paid $56 for this early upgrade as a PD6 user, but this feels like I have gotten a unfinished product and therfor extremely dissatisfied!!

Regards
    Hans

16. DominiqueL

DominiqueL Bit poster

Unacceptable

Exactly the same problem here : MBP with SSD, and the boot time is nearly doubled!
    I paid more than 50 euros and all I could do is uninstall the program!
    We need an urgent fix!!!

17. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

18. DominiqueL

DominiqueL Bit poster

My OS system is in French. It's actually not language related.

19. rauckr

rauckr Member

Parallels 7 Tools install fails

My problem appears to now be solved. Second level support fixed a registry key permissions issue and the Parallels 7 Tools install finished. So far, everything now looks good.

20. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<