Parallels 7 - what makes this a major upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by noetus, Sep 3, 2011.

1. noetus

noetus Bit poster

Worth $50 as an upgrade?

That has to be a pretty major upgrade. But I don't see any major difference after upgrading. Same old ugly tearing when dragging windows around the screen, nothing changed there. prl_vm_app still cruises along at around 17-18% of CPU when idle (on my 2011 MBP).

The only difference I have noticed so far is purely cosmetic - and is pretty annoying. Opening windows now opens them with a time-delaying 'pop' transitions-effect from the centre-outwards that is all eye-candy, and SLOWS DOWN the use of the computer. I guess new eye-candy is OK if there is an option to turn it off. But I can't find that. It's enough by itself to make me consider downgrading back to 6 (and asking for my money back).

2. stinklyonion

stinklyonion Junior Member

i agree. it seems like buying for a fresh new software compared to an upgrade is almost the same.. you only need to add a couple of bucks to get a new software. well i guess we just have to get used to it.. :([​IMG]

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

There still is some flickering around the edges while dragging windows in Coherence mode on the screen, though that does not slow it. Coherence is much better when Aero (assuming your guest is Windows Vista or 7) is turned off in that mode, Parallels can handle turning it off / on automatically for you when and if you switch modes.

Regarding the eye-candy popups and the like, you can visit Parallels Preferences and turn off animations on the first General pane there. Hope this helps you.