3ds max 2012 issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by anycast, Sep 6, 2011.

1. anycast

anycast Junior Member

Hi,

In PD6, 3ds max worked almost flawlessly, with the occasional glitch. In PD7 there's one very annoying bug that makes vertex modeling almost unusable. When selecting vertices, they don't appear as selected in the viewport.

I've tried all drivers in max (nitrous, direct3d and opengl) and the problem remains. Is there any boot flag that I can use to make PD7's video driver behave like PD6?

BR,
    Alex

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Alex,

Thanks for reporting. I can confirm vertex selection issue with Direct3D driver, we'll work on that.
    However Nitros and OpenGL works fine here. Have you restarted 3ds after driver change?

3. anycast

anycast Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

OpenGL is indeed working for vertex selection, my mistake, I didn't even check it because when loading my models in it, there's another driver bug that's also annoying. Meshes appear with their materials all white. I have to toggle "Show standard map in viewport" to make materials appear in the viewport (I'm including two images so that you can see the issue). This already happened in PD5 and PD6 (only tested on the trial version).

However Nitrous isn't working, giving the same results as Direct3D.

Since I'm on the topic of 3ds max issues, there another very annoying bug that was half corrected in PD7. When right clicking on a viewport, the context menu appears correctly if it fits entirely in the window. However, if I right click in a position where the menu wouldn't fit entirely, the selection menu will appear and very rapidly disappear (and whatever was behind the mouse pointer gets selected). This was corrected for full screen and window mode in PD7, but it still happens in coherence mode (I'm also including an image for this context menu). If you right click near the bottom of the viewport you'll be able to reproduce the bug.

Finally, a bug introduced in PD7 for the Nitrous driver. In some meshes I'm getting depth sorting issues. I'm including a screenshot of Nitrous (incorrect depth sorting) and another of OpenGL (correct). This worked fine under PD6 (in PD5 I had to resort to the software mode).

Every issue I'm mentioning doesn't happen when running Max in bootcamp, so it's definitely an issue in Parallels.

BR,
    Alex

Attached Files:

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Alex,

We'll look into depth sorting with Nitros. Thanks again.

5. Murt

Murt Bit poster

I have this same annoying problem, i'm sure it can't be hard to fix. Nitrous does all the complex stuff, shading etc, its just the verts that are corrupt. It runs in opengl but you lose some of the nicer functionality. Please come up with a fix

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

7. Murt

Murt Bit poster

i have version 14922 and it has not fixed the problem with the verts has it?

8. Murt

Murt Bit poster

switched back to version 6 and the vert issue goes away, but the problem with loaded models showing white is there, can't find the show standard viewport toggle though

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

Vertex selection issue is with DirectX 3ds driver, it still occurs with 14992. The cause is that 3ds updates vertex buffer beyound locked range.
    However vertex selection with Nitrous driver works fine for us here. PD7.14992 includes specific fix for depth sorting issue reported by anycast.
    If you're still having problems with Nitrous driver, make sure the issue is visible on screen, generate a problem report (see http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058) and post report ID here.

10. Murt

Murt Bit poster

i can't find 14992 do you have a link. I am on 14922

11. Murt

Murt Bit poster

report ID 10295168 recreates the issue

12. Murt

Murt Bit poster

pic of the problem

this is what it looks like editing a poly in vertex mode

Attached Files:

13. serv

serv Forum Maven

Thanks for report. I stand corrected, 14922 is the latest build, not 14992.

14. serv

serv Forum Maven

Murt,

Can you double check that 3ds is using Nitrous driver as on screen shot below.

PS. Don't bother. Finally reproduced it with editable poly, editable mesh works ok. Then it's the same problem as with DirectX driver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. Murt

Murt Bit poster

this issue is driving me nuts. i can't believe there is no problem with parallels 6 and then the update would brake something this badly. i really don't want to use bootcamp or go back to P6

16. serv

serv Forum Maven

Murt,

We've a fix internally. It will be included in upcoming PD7 update.
    Please check your Private Messages.

17. Murt

Murt Bit poster

SERV you are a superstar, that works 100%, THANK YOU!!!!

18. Dr.S

Dr.S Bit poster

Nitrous driver problem

Hi, I have a completely different issue with
    Build 7.0.14922 (Revision 693916; September 13, 2011)
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    3ds max 2012 design
    Under Nitrous the Viewport renderer got screwed up.
    I try to attach two screenshots.

I have this problem only on my mbp 2011. On the mac pro everything is fine.

Does anybody have the same issue?

Any cure around??????

Attached Files:

19. Murt

Murt Bit poster

don't have that issue on my imac i7, 3ds max 2012, windows home prem 64bit

20. anycast

anycast Junior Member

Hi,

I'm still having issues with depth sorting in Nitrous. How should I proceed so that you correct the issue in the next build?

Best regards,
    Alex