Parallels 3170 - bootcamp - no keyboard or mouse

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cmillard, Feb 19, 2007.

1. cmillard

cmillard Bit poster

I've searched the forums and web with no luck so hopefully posting here will help.

I've just installed Parallels 3170 on my MacBook Pro running bootcamp with XP pro.
    Install went fine, VM boots up fine, but I have no keyboard or mouse control in the VM.

I can't login to XP pro to install the parallels tool (was hoping that would help.)

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks,
    -Christian

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Boot XP into SAFE mode.
    If your TAB key and RETURN key work that's all you should need. Since the mouse is working in OSX, you can select Install Tools option in the Parallels window.

ajm

3. cmillard

cmillard Bit poster

Thanks for replying. I was able to enter safe mode using fn+F8 at the boot menu, but unfortunately I still end up at the login screen with no keyboard or mouse controls. Any other suggestions?

4. myramoki

myramoki Bit poster

While trying to get Bootcamp working personally, I had the same problems. It definitely appeared as if the keyboard wasn't working, but through some combination of tab / alt-tab / ctrl-tab, I did manage to finally get my account selected and then was able to login. If that fails, you might want to try rebooting. Parallels became highly unstable for me, with some really odd graphic effects happening, but a reboot helped. Or just quiting Parallels for a little while, and then loading the VM by starting Parallels Desktop and selecting the particular VM, versus double click on the VM icon itself. I have no certain evidence that starting Parallels this way is better, but I had some luck with it.

Really, I have not a lot of a clue, but these things helped me a bit.

5. cmillard

cmillard Bit poster

I'll give that a try as well. I've had the share of wierd startup errors from Parallels as well.
    Rebooting has fixed wacky errors like 'not enough space to allocate virtual memory'

On a not so good note my XP partition is booting slowly into safe mode with no keyboard or mouse now. Looks like I'll have to get Parallels working or fix it with the XP install CD.

update: No luck trying different startup methods from parallels. Tried random key presses with no luck within the XP VM.

I was able to fix the XP partition with the install cd and choosing the repair option.

Update:

I disabled the password on login. That allowed me to start installing the Parallels tools. Unfortunately still no keyboard or mouse so I couldn't click "ok" when the "CD drive" hardware driver prompt appeared. I installed a MS optical mouse to try as work around the issue. I enabled the optical mouse in the Parallels Devices menu. Still no work there.

I've tried deleting and recreating the VM configuration, no luck. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels, no luck.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions I'm going the wait for the next release after 3170.

Thanks,
    Christian

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007