iSight disappeared after using in 3150 RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by casioguy, Feb 3, 2007.

1. casioguy

casioguy Member

My iSight was working great in Skype under 3150RC2. However, today when I rebooted Parallels, I discovered that OSX has lost the iSight camera, and under iChat or Skype in OSX, it said there is no video camera available. I booted Parallels, and similarly, find iSight missing from the list of devices and no more available under Skype too.

Anyone with the same problem? Seems like the iSight camera has disappeared from both Paralles and OSX. I have rebooted and do a PRAM reset, but no iSight...

Any idea how to get it back?

2. casioguy

casioguy Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that I am running Parallels on my iMac 20" Core Duo, 2.0Ghz, with Windows XP.

3. casioguy

casioguy Member

Update : I checked under 'About my Mac' in System Profile, and founnd that iSight has disappeared from the USB High-speed bus list of devices. It's as though the camera has been disconnected.

Tried a reinstall of OSX (Archive & Install) - no dice. Programs like iChat, Photobooth, Skype report that no camera is available. Looks like my iSight has been killed by this version of Parallels. Is that possible?

4. drmikemz

drmikemz Bit poster

I'm having the same problems, installed the bootcamp drivers under 3150RC2 yesterday , got isight working under MSN, shutdown the virtual machine and now the isight has disappeared from my system as well...

5. macmouse

macmouse Bit poster

Same problem here. iSight disappeared from the menu in Parallels. This happend just after I installed the Mac drivers for Windows from Bootcamp. Also, my iSight did not work anymore in MacOS X :mad: on my Macbook Pro (error msg: "Photo Booth can not open because no camera is attached or the camera is in use with another application").
    However, i got isight working again :) on the mac side and in Parallels after these steps:

1) Shut down (wait a few seconds)
    2) Reset parameter RAM: hold down [apple] + [option] + [p] + [r] when you restart the computer

Photo Booth worked again in MacOS X. In parallels iSight appeared again in the menu. I was able to select it and then it worked again with Skype in Windows XP.

6. casioguy

casioguy Member

I am going to try it when I get back home. I have reset PRAM with no results earlier on, but I did not shut down the iMac completely, just did a restart. As I mentioned, even an OSX re-install did not help. Am keeping my fingers crossed that shutting the iMac down completely for a few seconds will help. Thanks for the tip!

7. casioguy

casioguy Member

Yes!!! It worked! Shut down the iMac completely, restarted after a few minutes, reset PRAM, and now I have iSight back! Thanks, macmouse!!!

8. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

Did you check in Parallels: Devices: USB to see if the iSight had been captured there?

9. reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell Bit poster

Isn't iSight OS grabbing possible?

I had this issue as well, reset pRAM and everything back...

However, I wonder why I need to futz around with who has the iSight? Yes, it will always work in Boot Camp, but I want to be able to just grab Windows Live Messenger so my kids can have video chats with their uncle, grandparents, etc. who are all windows users. It works great in Boot Camp, but it seems my Mac OS X wants to grab control and not give it to Parallels/XP.

Can't there be a more elegent solution .. seems Parallels could use whatever term command that would disengage the iSight from the Mac OS and set it up on the Win OS. Right?

The issue would be when running in coherence mode, when do you yank it from one and give it to the other... I can see that as being an issue. Yet, it still could be done. If the Mac asks for it and no XP apps are in focus, give it to the Mac. If Win asks for it, and Win is in focus, give it to Win.

I'm sure it isn't quite that easy .. but can't it be done??

Or am I missing something... is this already being done and I can't figure out how to do it???

10. casioguy

casioguy Member

Yes, iSight is listed again as one of the devices under USB, Parallels. However, I have yet to try and select/connect it to use with MSN Live Messenger as I am sure I will get the same problem again. Better to let the Parallels guys work this bug out of the system in the next release.

I do confirm though, that iSight did work with both Skype and Live Messenger in Parallels.

11. pfloydn

pfloydn Member

For all you windows chat users out there - give Skype a try. It was a bit of a pain to get my parents to move as well - but it allows seamless chat between mac and pc, and smoother video to boot... I don't even miss my MSL Live anymore...

12. JimboH

JimboH Bit poster

The problem seems to appear when I forget to uncheck the isight camera from the usb selection before shutting down. It is almost as if Parallels doesn't release the isight back to the Mac os, and since it is still "in use" when Parallels starts up again, it isn't available to uncheck the second time.