Parallels Desktop 7: Windows Experience scores are lower

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkwuc89, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

I just upgraded to PD7 from PD6. I then upgraded Parallels Tools inside my Windows 7 Ultimate VM. After a reboot, I re-ran the Windows Experience Index assessment and noticed the following:

Desktop performance for Windows Aero fell from 5.9 to 5.2
    3D business and gaming graphics performance fell from 5.2 to 4.9

According to the PD7 announcement, graphics performance is supposed to be improved. The assessment numbers above do not reflect this.

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

I experienced some kind of sluggishness too after the first reboot. After a little time and two more reboots my VMs seem to be more responsive, but I didn't test the user experience index.

In fact, I didn't notice any performance bumps so far, neither with XP nor 7 as guest. We will see ...

3. KrisM

KrisM Bit poster

Hmm, this makes me not want to upgrade to Parallels 7 o_O

4. jovian.son

jovian.son Bit poster

My desktop and aero graphics went up by .one point, whereas my gaming graphics dropped by .three. Luckily I don't do anything graphics-intensive on my VM but it is still disconcerting. P7 does seem peppier in general, though.

5. I noticed huge drop in RAM performance

I noticed a big drop in my RAM performance? I am at 2.9 WEI for RAM on a 2010 Macbook Air? Before I was much better over 4 if I remember right.

6. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

Also experiencing WEI drops. RAM and CPU both went from 7.something to 5.9, Graphics both went from 6.5 to 6.0.

7. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

Follow up to my own post.. my WEI scores went down due to me turning on Adaptive Hypervisor. Kind of makes sense now that I think about it. I run WEI and then tab out of Parallels to do other stuff, letting the test run in the background, which then gets a lower priority.

8. Ryan Spears

Ryan Spears Bit poster

I too have had a dramatic reduction in my Graphics subscrores after enabling the Adaptive Hypervisor. So I disabled it, restarted the Virtual Machine and did not get an improvement. Not sure how to fix this.

9. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Remember tests of speed that are run within an emulation are not really accurate. How does the emulation run games, etc. compared to PD 6?