Can't connect to network - Mac 10.6.5 running Win7 in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mattynabib, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Mattynabib

Mattynabib Bit poster

As stated in the title, I'm running a Mac Pro with 10.6.5 and Parallels 6 with a Win7 virtual machine. The VM works fine, all apps seem to work, coherence is great... but I have network issues.

I can get to the internet fine, the connection for web pages is solid. However, when I try to join our company's internal network, I have problems. From the Mac side, I can see and access all server volumes just fine. From the windows side, however, the machine can't join the domain, which would be useful from a remote management perspective as well, and is the ideal.

All the settings are correct, the IT admin came up here to get the Win side of this machine on the network, but he was stymied. The Dell I have sitting on the desk next to me was set up the same way and works fine, but when he tries it on the VM, the result is always the attached error (the text of which is basically that the Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain could not be contacted).

The domain is correct, everything else is correct as far as we know, and it was tried several times. Has anyone else had this issue? There are no firewall settings running on the Mac side, this same setup works on a physical Windows device... so what is the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Mattynabib

Attached Files:

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello, Mattynabib!

Could you please try to set you network adapter in bridged networking mode and try again?

3. Mattynabib

Mattynabib Bit poster

Hi Alev,

Thanks - I tried, but it tells me that bridged mode requires two unused LAN or internet connections to be available... not a fruitful avenue (unless you meant on the server side - I can ask about that).

However, we did find a non-running service called Netlogon that could not be started (if I can attach at a screen shot I will)... this seemed to be a possible source of our troubles.

And is there a chance that altered settings in the search domains settings of the Mac Network control panel could cause issues with this?

Matt

Attached Files:

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

Mattynabib, bridged networking mode is a kind of Parallels Virtual network adapter work behavior. It doesn't need 2 adapter or connection from you.

To set network adapter in bridged mode you could (PD6):
    1) Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Network1 - Change Type to "Bridged - Default Adapter"
    2) Open Devices using button "Show Devices" at right bottom corner of VM window. Right Click on Network device and Select "Bridged Network - Default Adapter"

You could use adapter you used to connect to internet instead of Default.

After this your virtual machine will be connected to the network in bridged mode.
    You must wait some time (less than 30 seconds) for IP renewal. Sometimes (if Windows doesn't detect network change) you need manually renew IP - use ipconfig commands or just reboot VM.

5. cklamsgp

cklamsgp Bit poster

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 in my MBA and have been facing the same issues. Anyone managed to solve this idiotic problem? I could log in into the domain with my physical laptop running Windows XP but after I cloned the image into Parallels, I could still log in initially but after a while, I keep getting the error:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.

I have upgraded to Parallels 6 couple of months back and I not very keen to upgrade to 7 if this problem persists. Maybe I should try Fusion instead. This is crap!

6. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

Good thing I don't have this kind of issue anymore. Thanks to my new adapter.

7. cklamsgp

cklamsgp Bit poster

I don't think it's an adapter problem. I've tried re-cloning from my Lenovo laptop a a couple of times and everytime it would work initially but after a while, I can't get in. Thinking that it may be Group Policy restricts the Computer Account to the MAC address of the Lenovo laptop, I've tried using the same MAC address but it doesn't work. I've also tried the Bridged mode, etc, but still can't get it to work. It's frustrating!