Just Bought 6 - Do I have to pay to upgrade

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ConradW, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Joseph Ghammashi

Joseph Ghammashi Junior Member

I Agree this is a Crock!

I received an email from Parallels back in July that Parallels 5 would not be compatible with Lion and that I should upgrade to the latest version which was 6. I had no idea 7 was coming out so soon! Now you're telling me if I want to go to 7 I have to pay for it?

Sounds to me like those emails in July were designed to get customers to cough up $49 twice!

I've been a customer since version 3! If I'm going to be expected to pay for the upgrade to 7 then I will be choosing VMWare instead!

2. LukeSc

LukeSc Bit poster

I bought Parallels 6 near the beginning of July. I also feel ripped off that I now have to pay again even though I just bought it! One month upgrade window is ridiculous, especially since I had no way of knowing 7 was around the corner. If I had known this I would have waited. A $60 upgrade fee is a huge slap in the face, especially when I'm one month off. If I had to spend $5 for each month I would have been happy to pay that (July = $5, June = $10, May = $15, etc.. based on $60 / 12).

I sent in a support request, but I'm sure I'll get the same scripted response. I am a new customer, and I hope Parallels appreciates my business. Otherwise I have a couple other options - I mostly virtualize Linux on my Mac to test server configurations. I gave Parallels a shot because I heard it worked better on the Mac than the other options.

3. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

Hello Luke, you have been assisted via ticket 1217408

Dear Joseph Ghammashi, please submit a support request at www.parallels.com/support/request > Customer service and licensing

describe your issue and provide some information about your Parallels Desktop 6 purchase: order number or invoice copy.

4. dhhuston

dhhuston Bit poster

I am also a dissatisfied higher-education teacher that purchased this software right after Lion came out. I recommend this software to all of my students and have since Lion support was released. My purchase date was 7/23/11 and my support number is: 1217491.

I would really like to think that a company that helps students with educational pricing would at least treat their customers with respect enough to allow for purchasers of their product after a major OS launch the benefit of one free upgrade.

5. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

Dear Mr. Huston, you have been assisted via ticket 1217491

6. ChrisHaynes

ChrisHaynes Bit poster

I'm on board with everyone here as well. I purchased my copy of Parallels 6 on July 26, 2011. Your sales department couldn't think to move your cutoff date ahead a week to coincide with the release of Lion, which is one of the most important reasons for Parallels 7? I am a very disappointed customer. This is a shame.

7. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

8. ChrisHaynes

ChrisHaynes Bit poster

Hi Julia,

I just did this.

9. Joe3294809234

Joe3294809234 Bit poster

Bought mine in July

I bought mine in July, just before buying a mac air with Lion on it. The support I needed for that product just to get it going went through August 15th, and still I see massive random flickering in the windows screen when switching back and forth too many times. In addition, the scrolling with Lion in excel and word is an absolute disaster. I design jet aircraft and depend on my windows virtual machine to function correctly. Since buying version 6 in July, I've had nothing but problems, and now I have to invest another $50 not knowing if it will work? What happened to my 90 day guarantee? Is anyone else using another product that works for them? I wouldn't be able to run my company this way, I couldn't live with myself.

10. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

11. RodneyB

RodneyB Bit poster

seriously?

I also feel slightly ripped off by this. I bought version 6 for Lion compatibility. If I would of know just over a month after my purchase that version 7 would be coming out. I too would of just waited.

very frustrating.

I logged a case with your support system #1217918

12. Joe3294809234

Joe3294809234 Bit poster

Just got word back from customer support, they need to see my receipt, although I'm a corporate client. I asked for my 90-day money back guarantee based on the massive screen flicker in Lion, which is clearly stamped on the box. If my company isn't switched to version 7 for free, I'm switching the entire company over to vmware. I haven't heard anything back yet, this is frustrating. I've also tweeted about this, referencing @parallelsmac.

13. tc982

tc982 Bit poster

Ripoff?

I just bought version 6 and now they want us to pay again for the new version?

I have opened a ticket, and no response from them, oh yes, one : Ticket has been opened for three days, please click on resolve... this is hysterical.

Parallels; this is no way to threat your customers!

14. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

Hello tc982, I created a new ticket for you (number 1221128) and resent a reply as it seems that you have never received our messages.

15. StephanieG3

StephanieG3 Bit poster

Hi- The same thing happened to me. I think it is ridiculous that you have to pay basically 50% of cost in just months of buying a software!

16. Hi, could you provide us with your purchase order number please?