Textexpander not working in Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IanF23, Sep 2, 2011.

1. IanF23

IanF23 Bit poster

Hi,
    In Parallels 7 I have just found that TextExpander on the Mac side is not working. It tells me that Secure Input was recently enabled by Parallels Desktop. This was not the case in previous versions.

Can someone tell me how to turn it off so I can get TextExpander working again. I don't want to have to turn off Parallels just to get this enabled again.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Keyboard code in PD6 and in PD7 is effectively the same. Is there any other difference in between former (working) and current (non-working) systems?

3. IanF23

IanF23 Bit poster

I simply installed the upgrade today. Nothing changed, and all previous version of Parallels did not stop TextExpander. This is the first time it has happened. BTW, I am using Lion, and to confirm Parallels 6.0 in Lion this morning was working fine.

Thanks,
    Ian

4. could you pls say exact version of PD6 you have used?

5. IanF23

IanF23 Bit poster

Whatever the last version was including all updates. I believe the last update was 21Jul, US-6.0.12094.676494.dmg.

Note, all versions, all upgrades were fine, prior to today's upgrade to 7.0.

6. Sprocket Jockey

Sprocket Jockey Bit poster

"Expansion Disabled (Parallels Desktop)"

I can't seem to get TextExpander to work either. Running Parallels 7 with latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on iMac 11,1. Icon in menu bar has a triangular yellow "!" caution symbol over the top of the TextExpander icon. Clicking on it reveals the message, "Expansion Disabled (Parallels Desktop)." Never had this problem with Parallels 6. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn TextExpander back on. Any solutions?

7. IanF23

IanF23 Bit poster

Hi,
    I did a complete reboot for my mac and then when I restated Parallels 7 the textexpander issue not working is currently "cured". I am not sure if there was a specific event that triggered the problem so I will keep an eye on this and try and note what causes the problem, if it does reappear.
    Ian

8. thank for an update

9. radiophage

radiophage Bit poster

I can confirm the same behavior as IanF23— issues resolves after mac reboot.

10. Sprocket Jockey

Sprocket Jockey Bit poster

It Took Two Rebbots But... So Far, So Good

I tried rebooting to see if the problem would correct itself. Rebooted the Mac for the second time and so far TextExpander is behaving properly.

11. pdbain

pdbain Bit poster

I've rebooted and TextExpander is still not working in P7

Apparently P7 is killing TextExpander by enabling secure input. Is there any update to the P7 software or any setting that I can change to disable secure input?

I have the latest version of P7 Build 7.0.14920 (Revision 689535; August 30, 2011) and the latest version of TextExpander (3.3.2). I've rebooted the computer a couple of times and the problem is still there with P7.

Paul D. Bain

12. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

Rebooting won't solve the issue, it will only get things complicated and misunderstood.[​IMG]

13. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

I'm not even getting the Secure Input Disabled message from TextExpander. It simply doesn't work at all in Windows apps on OS X 10.7.2 with Parallels 7.0.15052. When I try to use snippets Textexpander doesn't react at all.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I have Parallels running in Coherence Mode with Crystal enabled.

14. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Well, I think I found the answer on the SmileOnMyMac FAQ for TextExpander
    Now, I see that the point of this thread was that Parallels was causing TextExpander to stop working on the Mac side with Secure Input Disabled. The thread title is misleading. It should be "TextExpander not working WITH Parallels 7".

I haven't had that problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I hope they get TextExpander working in Parallels someday. It'd be awesome.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011