[PD7] Full Screen / Menubar

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TheAngryPenguin, Sep 1, 2011.

1. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin Member

Just upgraded from PD6 to PD7 this morning, and now when my guests are in full screen mode, the host's menubar appears whenever I hover the mouse pointer near the top of the screen. It is very frustrating to have the guest switch from full screen mode to windowed mode whenever I attempt to close an application in the guest that's maximized and accidentally end up clicking the full screen icon in the menubar.

Please tell me that there's a workaround to this behavior (e.g. adding an undocumented line to config.pvs), as there doesn't appear to be any way revert it to how it used to be in PD6. At the very minimum, please consider making this a user preference in an upcoming build.

2. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

Hi,

we are currently working on it. Stay tuned

3. mds

mds Bit poster

I'm also experiencing this - it is extremely frustrating!

It doesn't seem that Lion has any way to disable this for all apps - is there even a way around it?

I'm also having an issue with moving from Full Screen to Coherence, all my guest apps (Outlook, Word, etc) say they are running in the Dock but are nowhere to be found on any desktop.. anyone else seeing this problem?

4. murraywheeler

murraywheeler Bit poster

Ditto. I have to use full screen at work an the menu bar thing is making me go insane.

5. ShaunL

ShaunL Bit poster

I look forward to a resolution to this as well. As a suggestion until then, switch the menu bar in windows to the top of the screen. Obviously, it goes against the idea of true full screen mode, but it alleviates the annoyance of the dropping menu bar.

6. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

Of course it does but at least it simplify the problem.[​IMG]

7. milleri

milleri Bit poster

Thanks for working on this problem. Having the Mac menu bar appear only on command in full screen mode is a terrific feature. Believe it or not, I depend on it.

8. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin Member

Yes, yes! Many thanks for correcting this in the 7.0.14922 update!

9. ShaunL

ShaunL Bit poster

It would be nice if it was real lion full screen, but an option to hid the menu bar or delay it from dropping.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin Member

Open the VM's configuration, select Options > Full Screen and remove the checkmark next to Use Mac OS Full Screen. No more Menubar or Dock in full screen mode; and no more dedicated Parallels Desktop space. This option essentially reverts the full screen behavior to how it worked in PD6.

11. Mazarai

Mazarai Bit poster

Reverting to how fullscreen mode worked under Parallels 6 does solve the menubar problem, but at the expense of the slickness of automatic space creation using Lion's native fullscreen feature. I've not used an app that implements Lion's fullscreen without showing the menubar on mouseover, so am not sure whether it is possible (ie. perhaps native fullscreen mode requires showing the menubar when the mouse hits the top of the screen), but could we get an update as to whether the folks at Parallels see this issue as closed?

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

As far as I understand this has now been achieved in the 7.0.15052 build. At least, when I am in full screen I don't get the menu bar when I have the mouse at the top of the screen. To get the menu bar, I need to focus the mouse away from the (still full screen) VM by pressing alt-ctrl, and then when I move the mouse to the top of the screen I get the menu bar. Strangely, this does not work when I *disable* the "active corners" in Parallels - in that case the mouse always drops the menu bar, even if the VM has the mouse focus (i.e. the mouse is the white Windows mouse).

13. Mazarai

Mazarai Bit poster

Thanks Shaddam. Enabling Active Screen Corners under 7.0.15052 gave me exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure whether just enabling Active Screen Corners would have worked in previous versions, but as it stands this solution addresses all of my concerns above. Thanks again for the very thorough explanation and description!

14. ErikVA

ErikVA Bit poster

Thanks, enabling the Active Corners does the trick for me. It was driving me insane.