VM won't boot after transporter

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by oscarthecat, Feb 16, 2010.

1. oscarthecat

oscarthecat Bit poster

I loaded my Windows 7 64-bit Boot Camp partition as a Parallels machine inside Mac OS, installed the Parallels Transporter agent in the Windows machine, and transported it to the Mac using all the default settings, so it could run as a regular VM inside PD5.
    But when I go to boot the new VM, I get a "No boot device is available" error.
    Anywhere I likely went wrong? I've installed dozens of VMs in Parallels before, but never using the Transporter, and this is the first time I've had this problem.

cheers

Oscar

2. oscarthecat

oscarthecat Bit poster

Furthermore

The VM created by Transporter won't boot anything: not even a valid Windows 7 install disk that boots in every other VM I tested it on.
    Additionally, if I place the hard disk file created by Transporter into another VM that I know boots fine, and tell that second VM to boot from the added disk, it won't boot. Indeed, the presence of that added disk in the otherwise working VM prevents that VM from booting a CD.
    I just don't get it. Is Transporter creating corrupted hard disk files? Or am I missing something obvious?

3. SJR

SJR Member

"No boot device" error after transporting Bootcamp

I am having exactly the same issue!

I am trying to move my bootcamp installation of Windows 7 to a non-bootcamp VM so that I can make backups using snapshot, which I am unable to do with a bootcamp installation.

I am running OSX 10.7.2 (Lion), Parallels Desktop for Mac v7 and have transported a Bootcamp installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

The 'imported' VM simply won't boot for me...

[​IMG]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

I have tried every SATA location and no joy.

The following images show my setup:

I even repeated the complete transporter export/import process a second time, but same result...

Please help!

4. SJR

SJR Member

BUMP!

Can anyone at Parallels help with this problem please??

5. Phil T.

Phil T. Bit poster

Same issue here! Getting desperate.

Also, the size of the VM file indicates that the transporter moved the information over, but it just can't boot up that VM. Why?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. SJR

SJR Member

7. timq111

timq111 Bit poster

I had the same problem. Even started over twice and have wasted DAYS with this problem, much of the time just waiting for the frigging thing to work.

Looking for answers, I found this thread. However, didn't want to go the BootCamp route - kinda defeats the purpose of using parallels. What worked, ironically, was just updating Parallels. I'm very glad it worked...sucks that it wasn't the first thing I did.

Hope that helps the next!