Performance lags with Mac Look

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KlausS, Jun 4, 2011.

1. KlausS

KlausS Member

I see a problem with MacLook. As soon as I activate MacLook all starts of the Windows Explorer
    (i.e., the file navigator, not Internet Explorer) is significantly delayed, i.e., in the order of 10 sec for any reaction
    The same holds for all kind of derived windows like the control panel.

The problem is repeatable: if I switch MacLook off, everything is fine, when I switch it on, it is again extremely
    slow. The whole thing is mode independent (Windowed, Full Screen, Coherence, etc.)

The problem occurs on a MacBook Pro, with Win7 64 running from a bootcamp partition.

Has anyone observed a similar behavior? Any guidance on this?

Cheers
    Klaus

2. KlausS

KlausS Member

an addition

... of course, if you run a similar setup, but have no problem, it would be interesting to know as well.
    Or is there no one using Mac Look out there?

3. KlausS

KlausS Member

No one?

Hi,

it would already be helpful, if someone could verify whether the same problem exists with
    bootcamp / windows 7 64 and MacLook activated.
    (e.g., because you also use coherence mode)

Klaus

4. mikedparallels

mikedparallels Junior Member

This probably won't help you, but just wanted you to know that on a new macbook pro, with Win7/64, Parallels Desktop 7 - MacLook seems to be working fine. The one thing to consider is how much memory/processing power is given to the VM, since it seems that MacLook is just a complicated Windows Theme. And my experience with plane old windows machines is that Windows 7 Themes did not work well unless I was using powerful machines (4gb or greater ram, new CPUs, etc).

5. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

Is Maclook always slow? Or just when you're activating it.

As Miked mentioned, MacLook is basically a windows -non- aero theme (done by Stardock?) It'll take some time to activate, but after that, should be fine.

I'm using it 7x64/Coherence, etc. No problems for me.

6. reibreb

reibreb Bit poster

testing is this working

7. KlausS

KlausS Member

Updated

.. updated to the latest OS: Lion and the Parallels 7 Version. It is still the same.
    It is unbelievable: one of the well-advertised features is basically unusable.
    (It is not that the OS is getting slow. It is only Windows Explorer startup time that is extremely lagging.
    Other programs have no problem. )

8. KlausS

KlausS Member

Updated

.. I correct myself also startup of other programs is significantly slower.
    - but never as much as for the windows explorer.

Moreover, if the VM is not in used the minimum load is significantly higher in MacLook
    than without it.

9. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello Klaus,

Please send the Problem Report from Help menu > Report a Problem.
    Remember Problem Report ID number and post it here - please make sure you are running Mac Look while Report is being generated.

10. KlausS

KlausS Member

Problem Report

Problem report was submitted with #11906153
    Additional information: observing the behavior of the system during windows explorer
    startup: it is not a CPU problem. Load was always below 10% and mostly at 0-1%

11. KlausS

KlausS Member

..no news

to whomever is concerned about this.
    As of now, nothing happened and the "feature" MacLook is still unusable.
    A shame.

12. KlausS

KlausS Member

found the problem conditions - not necessarily the solution

Hi,
    after reinstalling the Windows (Win 7 / 64) the problem was gone. However,
    as soon as I reinstalled Service Pack 1, it started again.
    For reproducing, one should directly boot into windows, while MacLook was activitated. Then the problem
    happens. - Now at least when deactivating and reactivating MacLook it is gone (however next boot: reappears).
    It might be that that it worsen, when I add more updates (as earlier it was continuous, even when de-and reactivating)

Klaus