Windows 8 Developer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LowellS, Sep 14, 2011.

1. slackpacker@mac.com

slackpacker@mac.com Bit poster

Looks like a new update is out - crossing fingers it fixes our prob

2. Rich Wood

Rich Wood Bit poster

It appears (at least for me) that the update does not address the black screen issue. I just installed the update, but I still have the black screen.

3. Brandon M

Brandon M Bit poster

I had a clean install already without tools. Updated Parallels then installed Parallel Tools and black screen still.

4. Brandon M

Brandon M Bit poster

5. d1egoaz

d1egoaz Bit poster

metro ui

i thinks there is no sense to install Windows 8 with out Metro

6. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I agree - its Metro and Metro app development in Visual Studio 11 that I want to play around with :(

Take Metro away and you've pretty much got Windows 7.

7. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Workaround for issue with black screen in Windows 8 with guest tools installed.

Shut down virtual machine.
    Open [Virtual Machine Configuration > Hardware > Boot Order] and locate [Boot flags].
    In [Boot flags] write:

devices.video.pci_device_id=0x5005;

Run virtual machine. Install Parallels Tools (if not yet).

Known issues with that workaround: Coherence, Dynamic Resolution, Smart Mouse (Sliding Mouse) will not work.

However, Smart Mouse (Sliding Mouse) can be enabled manually.
    Open [Virtual Machine Configuration > Options > Advanced] and set [Smart Mouse] to [On].
    This will allow Smart Mouse to work in Windows 8 even when described workaround applied.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Excellent, thanks - will give it a try now!!

9. Wojda J

Wojda J Bit poster

oday 12:10 PM
    wonder_mice Workaround for issue with black screen in Windows 8 with guest tools installed.

Shut down virtual machine.
    Open [Virtual Machine Configuration > Hardware > Boot Order] and locate [Boot flags].
    In [Boot flags] write:

devices.video.pci_device_id=0x5005;

Run virtual machine. Install Parallels Tools (if not yet).

---

This worked for me.
    Won't let me install || tools though, but that could be operator error (my fault).

Thanks for the quick turn around on the work around :)

10. RobV68

RobV68 Bit poster

Worked Well!

That worked for me too. Got tools installed also with the menu toolbar selection. Has anyone else noticed that "Shut Down" and "Reboot" both reboot the VM? Developer copy I know, hopefully they do a lot of work here as the interface seems counterintuitive thus far.
    FYI using Control Panel Display Settings I could manually set the resolution in full screen mode on my new MBAir to 1440x900 and it worked.

11. StimpsonJCat

StimpsonJCat Bit poster

No network

I've installed Windows 8 on Parallels 5. Installation went fine, but the hardware isn't recognised. So I haven't got a network connection. Windows want's to install network drivers, but, according to Redmond logic, you need a network connection to install new drivers...

12. BoxOfSnoo

BoxOfSnoo Bit poster

The graphic fix worked, but not the smart mouse for me. I have it set to "Windows 7" because "Other Windows" didn't allow me to get to the Advanced tab.

13. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Worked fine for me - thanks for the workaround!

14. lilgto64

lilgto64 Bit poster

Install unable to write files

Parallels 7 on Mac host - downloaded Windows 8 Developer Preview. iso file used in Parallels as boot source.

Tried Windows 7 and Other Windows as OS type - 64bit 1GB RAM 2 CPUs - gets to Expanding Windows Files around 91% and then says - Windows cannot install required files. The file amy be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570

tried 32 bit and had the same trouble.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  15. cq_

cq_ Bit poster

The method below works, however the "graphics card" is still set to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapater" - which basically makes the system too sluggish to do anything....

(I have 12GB ram with an i5 2.8Ghz and an ATI5770)

16. cq_

cq_ Bit poster

display driver is still set to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" ... Windows 8 does not allow "Parallels Display" driver to be installed because it is not "Supported by this OS"... can a driver be edited for Windows 8?

17. RogerJr

RogerJr Bit poster

How do you install Parallel Tools? Everytime I click install Parallel Tools it says. "Click continue to connect the Parallels Tools installation CD to this virtual machine and start the installation. If the installation does not start automatically, open your CD/DVD drive in Windows and double-click "Setup.exe". I don't have a cd for parallels i digitaly download it. Also my virtual machine keeps restarting with a pop up that says it every time i try starting up Windows 8 for the first time. Than works once it restarts. Anyone having this problem?

18. d1egoaz

d1egoaz Bit poster

tks, works for me

19. runebinder

runebinder Bit poster

Similar issue here, it's on there as drive D: but there's no run or auto play, can browse the drive and see the drivers folder, but can't update any of the drivers in Device Manager using that.

20. AmyStewart

AmyStewart Junior Member

Yes, I am experiencing it too. I just hope someone can advice me on what to do