File associations

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tehnewb, Sep 15, 2011.

1. tehnewb

tehnewb Bit poster

Is there any way to remove all the file associations parallels 7 makes? It's really annoying to accidentally open something then have the whole windows vm boot up! And is there a way to remove them from spotlight searches / launchpad etc too?

2. tehnewb

tehnewb Bit poster

Anyone figure this out?

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Adjust the Applications settings (under Options) in the Configure dialog of the VM to the behavior that you want.

Steve

4. AmyStewart

AmyStewart Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Never thought of that before. Indeed, adjusting the setting will do the trick. Sometimes, I am just pre-occupied with a lot of things and I was not able to notice some simple and basic things

5. tehnewb

tehnewb Bit poster

If I disable share windows applications with mac then the windows icons don't appear in the dock (for running windows apps) when in coherence, but if that is enabled then all the file associations are back, argh. Can't parallels just let us disable the stupid associations.

6. strells

strells Product Expert

The "Share Windows applications with Mac" option simply allows you to have access to Windows apps from the Mac. It's up to you to customize how you want to do this, which you do from the Get Info dialog in OS X and from Default Programs in Windows 7 (or file properties in XP).

I agree that the display of the Dock icons should probably be disassociated with the sharing of Windows apps (should be an option in Coherence preferences, not Sharing), but it is what it is. Changing the file associations is a one time thing, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Steve

7. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

How do we change the Windows associations. For instance, the MAIN reason I run Parallels and Coherence is so that I can use Outlook 2016 for Windows. The frustration I have is that every file attachment tries to run the Windows associated program, which with Windows 10 is all those Full screen idiotic applications which don't work very well in Coherence. So how do I for instance change the association for .PDF to use Preview on my Mac?