Any problem moving pvm files?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LynnO, Sep 15, 2011.

1. LynnO

LynnO Member

Parallels 7 is installed on my SSD drive, and when I created VMs I specified another drive to store the pvm files. Somehow they ended up on the SSD drive anyway, in what I expect is the default location: ~/documents/parallels.

Is there any problem with moving the pvm files, or a particular procedure that should be followed? I haven't found anything on this topic on the forum or in the docs.

Thanks...

2. dechamp

dechamp Bit poster

For several years I've been putting the PVM files onto a second partition that does not get backed up by Time Machine. I make Alias files for the different VM's and launch them directly by just double clicking on the Alias. You do not need to launch Parallels and then choose which VM you want to use. These PVM's have never showed up in any other place than where I put them.

3. mkoehler1

mkoehler1 Bit poster

My question is a little off topic: I have Paralles 4 installed and are going to buy Parallels 7. Can I import the Parallels4 VM into PD7? Or have I to install Windows from scratch. I can't find my old Windows XP Install CD.

Your help is much appreciated!

4. LynnO

LynnO Member

I went ahead and moved the pvm files, and then when Parallels couldn't find them I pointed to the new location. It's working fine, and as you say I could just use an alias to start the machines without going through the Parallels Virtual Machine List.

5. STim

STim Bit poster

There is no special procedure. The bundle can be located in any writeable area and can be moved around with no limitations. Just make sure VM is not running when you move the bundle