Homeworld 2 / P7 completely freezes the Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Shaddam IV, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Homeworld 2 (running on a Win7 / 64 guest) framerate is actually worse than under VMWare Fusion 3 (or Parallels 5). When I hit the "escape" key, the virtual machine and the host (a MacBook Air) freezes completely. Only a restart will help. Hm.

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Can you send a problem report (Help->Report a problem) and post here its ID please? This will give us your Mac's specs so that we could reproduce the issue here.

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hi Tim,

I'd love to do that - but I can't, as the Mac locks up completely, and only a forced restart of the Mac will help, so I can't generate the problem report when the problem occurs :-(

I'm running a P7 7.0.14922.693916 clean install on an i7 13" MBAir 2011 (with the X3100 Intel on-board Graphics), 4 GB Ram, 256 GB HD. The VM has 1.5 Gigs assigned to it, 256 MB video memory, 3D on. The VM running Win7/64, no non-Windows extensions (except, of course, the P7 tools). It's completely virtual (i.e. I'm not running it off a BootCamp partition). The VM's primary HD is 32 GB, a secondary one has 2 GB and is used for Windows' swap file. (Probably unnecessary due to how Parallels handles the swap file, but I had set it once on my old MBAir in P5 where that seemed to help, and never changed it back.) The antivirus software is Microsoft's Security Essentials. The other software on the VM is MS Office 2010, IE 9, the Windows Live software suite, and a couple of other (oldish to really old) games.

Description: The framerate in HW 2 is worse than under P5, or under VM Fusion 3.13, as long the game runs. When I hit the "esc" key while in-game, the VM (and the Mac) completely locks up. Can't move the mouse, can't escape from the VM, can't kill the VM - only a force restart will help.

In all other respects the VM runs very well, in particular the Win 7 start, shutdown, and suspense speeds are extremely impressive. It does seem to use a tad more memory than P5 (or VMWare Fusion 3.13) but that may be due to the 256 MB video memory (I used to have 128 MB).

What additional information could I send that might be helpful?