Parallels and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Krawfo, May 18, 2011.

1. Krawfo

Krawfo Bit poster

I have installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp. I would now like to run Windows using Parallels. Do I have to do a complete reinstall of Windows via Parallels or is there a way to integrate my Windows Boot Camp install with Parallels?
    Thanks.

2. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Hi,

Parallels Desktop can run already installed BootCamp Windows. Create New Virtual Machine > Install from: Boot Camp partiton.

3. Krawfo

Krawfo Bit poster

Thanks Roman. I appreciate it!

4. JordiP

JordiP Bit poster

Is it possible to run a bootcamp partition natively once I have installed parallels and used the bootcamp on my Mac?

5. JordiP

JordiP Bit poster

Ok I will try to explain it a bit better.
    I have been using bootcamp (NTFS) on my mac for a while and its running well. I would like to try to run this bootcamp partition virtually on my OS 10.6 using parallels, so that I don't have to reboot. But sometimes I need to do some CG work so I will need to access this installation natively too.

So, Is it possible to have access to the bootcamp Windows both virtually from parallels AND natively from bootcamp?

Thanks in advance for making this clear!
    (Could't find this point explained well anywhere..)

6. Roman Fattakhov

Hi JordiP,

Yes, exactly as you said, it is possible to boot Boot Camp natively if Parallels Boot Camp virtual machine is installed. Just boot Boot Camp natively as you did it before

7. JordiP

JordiP Bit poster

Hey thanks Roman!
    That was really important to know beforehand!

8. Bagman1301

Bagman1301 Bit poster

"Parallels Desktop can run already installed BootCamp Windows. Create New Virtual Machine > Install from: Boot Camp partiton."

I have Windows 7 installed in a bootcamp partition and it works well. I am trying to install Parallels and access the bootcamp partition but I am unable to. The option to create a VM from bootcamp is not available. My only choices are from the cd/dvd drive, from an image file or continue without a disc.

9. bver911

bver911 Bit poster

I have somewhat the same scenario but a little different needs. I have Windows 7 installed in a Bootcamp partition on my iMac running Snow Leopard. I want to upgrade to OS X Lion in the near future. Recently purchased Parallels 6 and have already applied for Parallels 7 upgrade.
    My questions are these: 1) Should I install Parallels 6 or wait until I get Parallels 7 upgrade? 2) Is it better to run Parallels with the Bootcamp partition or without it; i.e., on its own? I should state that I have my original Windows 7 Professional DVD (Upgrade Version).
    I have no prior experience with Parallels or, for that matter, with any virtual machine operations. So please bear with me.

I've searched for answers (which led me to this post), but my situation appears to be a little bit different from the others I've found.

Thanks!

10. JohnHurley

JohnHurley Bit poster

Same for me ... any ideas gang?

My config seems a little weird as the bootcamp does not show up in os x as a choice for startup drive. Under win 7 though you can pick either operating system as the default. Plus of course it works fine choosing either from a startup using the option key.

Can we force parallels somehow to find bootcamp?

11. SergGR

SergGR Bit poster

I want to remove bootcamp partition and move system from bootcamp to virtual partition parallaels!
    Can I do this with Parallels Desktop?

12. SergGR

SergGR Bit poster

I want to remove bootcamp partition and move system form bootcamp to virtual partition parallels!
    Can I do this with Parallels Desktop?

13. Roman Fattakhov

sure. start Parallels Desktop > click on File > Import Boot Camp... It will create a regular Parallels VM and you may remove Boot Camp

14. SergGR

SergGR Bit poster

Thank you!
    Home check how it works!

15. bver911

bver911 Bit poster

I believe you first need to figure out why Bootcamp is not showing up under OS X. This is probably necessary before you can use the Import from Bootcamp feature of the Parallels install. I would contact Parallels Support with this issue (especially if you are still within the support window for your product). They have thus far been very responsive to my requests for help when I've written to them directly.

I installed PD7 on my Mac and imported the Bootcamp partition. Unfortunately, it named the VM "My Bootcamp Drive" (or something like that) so I must have missed a step where I could name it more appropriately (e.g., Windows 7). Everything works except for one PC game. I'm working with Parallels Support to try to resolve this. If successful, I will delete my Bootcamp partition, recover the hard drive space, then upgrade to Mac OS X Lion (or not).

16. SergGR

SergGR Bit poster

Thanks!
    I made it!

17. Wise87

Wise87 Junior Member

Another question on "remove bootcamp partition and move system form bootcamp to virtual partition parallels".
    Currently I have 3GB set aside for my Win7 64 Bootcamp install. If I import the Win7 Bootcamp to VM, will it uses the same amount of disk space or does Parallels make adjustments as you install apps into the VM? Also will I see a difference between running Win7 via bootcamp vs VM be it speed, etc? As it stands now when I make changes in Win7 (bootcamp) my changes are there. I'm a very new Mac convert so I'm trying to see which is the best option.

18. san4encys

san4encys Bit poster

I've got a question, which a little differs from the one in the topic. I've Paralles Desktop 6 with Windows 7 installed, but it's nearly impossible to play Warcraft 3 TFT, although it's noway a demanding game, so I want to have a native Windows through Boot Camp, so can I do it viсe virsa than you explained it in this topic, can i import Windows 7 from Parallels to Boot Camp, while keeping parallels on my Mac, because i really needs it (but i want to play DotA a little).

19. Joel Hencken

Joel Hencken Bit poster

Does anyone know...

If you make changes (e.g., install a new program) in Bootcamp, do those changes appear the next time you start up Parallels' Bootcamp VM under OSX -- or do you have to create a new VM from the changed Bootcamp win7 installation?

Similarly, if you install a new program in the Parallels "Bootcamp VM", will that program appear if you boot to Bootcamp?