black ubuntu screen after first login

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by sam452, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sam452

sam452 Member

I'm a new user and have searched the forums for "black" "ubuntu" and find nothing in the troubleshooting that addresses what I'm seeing. Perhaps this is a simple thing?

I've installed the latest ubuntu server and non-server OS. The install seems to go OK. I've seen all the express installs in the server but after a login the screen is black and unresponsive. I've attempted to restart the virtual machine, but don't see any difference.

What am I not understanding? How do I use these guest OS's?\

sam

2. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Which version of Parallels are you using? If it's version 7 are you downloading the preconfigured version of Ubuntu using Parallels, or downloading it yourself?

3. sam452

sam452 Member

It's Desktop version 6 for Mac.

So there were no preconfigured options I saw. I went to ubuntu's website and downloaded .iso for the latest of their two products. Thanks for posting.

4. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Start Parallels 7, if the Parallels Virtual Machine list is not showing select it from the menu. Click the "+" at the bottom to the window and select what you want to download and install. You will find Chrome, Fedora and Ubuntu. Click what you want to install and it does everything automatically for you.

I tried Ubuntu and Fedora, and had both running side by side for a while because I could not decide which I preferred. Last time I tried Linux was a couple of years ago compiling is using the SDK using FINK. This is a lot easier to install and keep updated!

-------------------------------

Sorry, there was a lag between your post and my seeing it. With Parallels 6 there were no built-in options to download Umbuntu or Fedora as there is with version 7. Since you are using Parallels 6 you can setup Linux but you have to download and do it manually.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. STim

STim Bit poster

sam452,

This issue (with black screen in Ubuntu 11.04 after login) is fixed in Parallels Desktop 7 and in latest Parallels Desktop 6 update (released two days ago). Just update to latest version of Parallels Desktop and reinstall Parallels Tools in your virtual machine.

6. sam452

sam452 Member

Thanks for the update. If I want to use an earlier verison ubuntu to try out, which would you recommend for Parallels 6? thanx, sam