Virtualization SDK Python path issue on Lion

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Aditya, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Aditya

Aditya Bit poster

I installed the latest virtualization SDK on Lion & when I tried to use prlsdkapi (python) with Parallels Desktop, I get the following error:

So I dug in to see where prlsdkapi was installed & found it isn site-packages, which was essentially a symlink to the original location:

But that above path doesn't exist & I finally found the right location for it :

But now when I try to rerun my test script, I get the following error:

So I'm either referencing the wrong module or the module itself probably is not compatible with Lion. Any suggestions?

--aditya

2. LynnO

LynnO Member

I've run into the same problem, although after installing the SDK, the ...Python/prlsdkapi folders are missing. What version of the SDK did you install? Have you made any progress on this?

3. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hi guys.

Please specify version of Parallels Virtualization SDK you use.

4. LynnO

LynnO Member

5. sandro

6. LynnO

LynnO Member

That works, thanks! How should I have found that on the Parallels site?

7. sandro

We apologize for these inconveniences and try to make this info more clear on our site. Good luck and have a good experience with our product intergration.

8. LynnO

LynnO Member

Would it be possible to get an example of how prlsdkapi.VmGuest.run_program is used? I am having trouble particularly with how to deal with handles in Python, such has how to create a new handle to a string.

9. Aditya

Aditya Bit poster

I was working on a script for automation purposes, but I figured it could be useful to someone else also. I have put my code here - https://github.com/aivaturi/parallels-vm-manager. It is a simple REST(ish) server which will make it easy to manage your VMs remotely. Use doxygen to generate the docs.

10. Aditya

Aditya Bit poster

The documentation is kinda convoluted. The C API reference docs are much better. Essentially, you have to first login to the VM guest. In this case, you have to call the Vm.login_in_guest() method first. And remember this is an asynchronous call so, this should get you the VmGuest object (e.g.):

vm_guest = vm.login_in_guest('user', 'my_awesome_pass').wait().get_param()

Then you can call other VmGuest methods on it.

Edit: Forgot about string handles. Look at StringList object in the API. run_program method takes StringList as values for hArgsList & hEnvsList.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011