P7 - New VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by stephenroberts, Sep 16, 2011.

1. stephenroberts

stephenroberts Junior Member

When I go to create a new VM I can only seem to get to the Parallels New VM Wizard which has various options like "Buy Win 7" or "Migrate a VM", but there is no option for "Install Other" or even to customize the install options of the ones on the list.

I have two problems:

1 - When I go to "Install Lion Using the Recovery Partition" it tries to install it on my main drive which has very little free space. I have all my VMs set up on a second drive, but I can not see to tell the install wizard where to put the new VM.

(I found the setting under preferences to change the default, but I want it to give me a chance to change on a per-VM-create :-/

2 - I was experimenting with boot disks and creating simple OSes. In P6 I created a blank VM with a blank hard drive and would use that to "boot" my experimental boot disks, I can not figure out a way to create a blank VM in P7.

2. paulgrav

paulgrav Bit poster

I have the same problem. Can't find anything helpful in the manual that explains how to create a custom VM.

3. STim

STim Bit poster

1. Open New VM Wizard.
    2. Choose "Install Windows from DVD or other image file".
    3. On the next screen choose "Continue without disc" options in "Install from" drop-down.

This will enable you to choose location of the VM on one of next screens and customize settings using "Customize settings before installation" checkbox.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. stephenroberts

stephenroberts Junior Member

That is the ticket! Not terribly clear, but that is what I was looking for.

Thanks