Error trying to upgrade to 14922

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Eric Hamburg, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Eric Hamburg

Eric Hamburg Junior Member

When prompted to install the 7.0.14922.693916 update I get an error message/dialog box (screen cap attached):

Unable to install the update.
    Contact the Parallels support team for assistance.
    Support information:
    Problem ID 15209

I was first prompted to do this update with my production version VM (Windows 7) running but as a result of trying to do the update that VM is now in an infinite "suspending" state. I reverted to a copy of a recent back up of the VM which still prompts to upgrade and produces the same error code. I've also removed the original VM from the VM list to see if the hung VM was causing the problem but that did not resolve it, but at least that VM now suspends normally. I've also now that I got rid of the original VM I was able to start PD cleanly and tried to run the update with no VMs running as I would normally do. Same error received.

I've submitted a ticket to Parallels but have not gotten a response.

Attached Files:

2. yokimbo

yokimbo Bit poster

I encountered the same error message trying to update last night. No VMs were running.

* With Parallels running my Windows 7 VM, I clicked "Install Later"
    * I restarted my computer
    * I ran a SuperDuper backup
    * I started Parallels (no VMs running) and attempted to install the update only to receive the error message Eric Hamburg received (15209).

3. Eric Hamburg

Eric Hamburg Junior Member

Issue resolved - Need to run update as adminstrator

I normally run under a "standard" privileges account for security reasons. I switched my account to have "administrator" privileges and was able to run the update.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. yokimbo

yokimbo Bit poster

I forgot to mention that the account I attempted the upgrade on had admin privileges, and it still failed. Although, I'm not sure it would matter much since you're asked to authenticate before completing the upgrade.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Is the software update downloaded to the computer prior to pressing the "Install now" button and authenticating?

5. zcasper

zcasper Bit poster

Same problem here.

Unable to install the update
    Contact the Parallels support team for assistance
    Support Information
    Problem ID: 15209

I ran the Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility and restarted. No luck.

Zach

6. Dark Luke

Dark Luke Bit poster

Hi,
    I got just the same problem here. Is there any word from the devs yet?

7. tscrutchin

tscrutchin Bit poster

Same problem here

Problem ID: 15209

By the way, anyone from Parallels, what does 15209 mean in English. It is an interesting language, much more communicative than pure numbers.

First I was running with a VM created with Superduper. I stopped the VM and tried again. Same Result.

The error message comes up instantaneously when I type in my password.

Just in case Superduper had something to do with it

8. Jeff Ribordy

Jeff Ribordy Bit poster

Same error

Go the same error and e-mailed Tech Support. Their helpful answer was to run the update ........

I though the firewire @ work was blocking so I tried at home and got the same thing. I went and downloaded a copy directly and it ran but it got to a window which told me to quit the Parallels Virtual Machine...... even though it wasn't running. Couldn't get past that as there was nothing to quit.

9. steve@stevebuchan.org

steve@stevebuchan.org Bit poster

I have the same issue.

- repair disk permissions, did not help
    - user has admin privs.

#fail

10. Dark Luke

Dark Luke Bit poster

I feel kinda ignored here! Has anyone of you guys a solution since there seems to be no answer from Parallels?!

11. digital skies

digital skies Bit poster

The same for me.
    Error 15209 as a result of update installation attempt.

12. MPanadero

MPanadero Bit poster

Workaround: Download update from Parallels website

Dear all,

I was on the same boat. Parallels would offer me to update, click on install, Problem ID 15209 would be triggered as soon as I entered the password and back to square one: Update offered, etc...

I am happy to report a workaround which worked for me:

1. I downloaded the latest build directly from Parallels website. Direct link (English version) is http://www.parallels.com/download/build/desktop/

2. Restarted the Mac, unticking "reopen applications" option offered by Lion

3. With the system freshly booted and no unnecessary processes running (my VMs do not start automatically upon login) I executed the installer I had just downloaded.

4. Parallels installer run the update flawlesly.

5. Start the VM and to trigger installation of the new version of Parallels tools.

6. Restart the VM.

Who knows, perhaps is another one of those pesky Lion incompatibilities or simply the update process was broken.

Hope it helps!

Happy VM'ing!!! ;-)
    RDdV

13. tscrutchin

tscrutchin Bit poster

That worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing that workaround.
    Thom

14. yokimbo

yokimbo Bit poster

Thanks @MPanadero. That worked for me too.

15. Dark Luke

Dark Luke Bit poster

Thank you for that tip. Worked like a charm!

16. MPanadero

MPanadero Bit poster

My pleasure!

Dear all,

Pleased to hear it helped. Glad to be able to give back something, albeit little compared to what we get from communities such as this !

Happy VM'ing!
    RDdV

17. Ed Bolson

Ed Bolson Bit poster

Easier solution

I found the following file in my Library folder:
    Parallels/Downloads/ParallelsDesktop-7.0.14922.693916.dmg

With Parallels NOT RUNNING, I double clicked to open the image, and then just double clicked Install. Everything worked fine. No necessity to do all of the rebooting or anything else. When I started (resumed) my virtual Windows 7 instance, the Parallels tools updated.