Win 98 crashes on shutdown

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ndubau, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ndubau

ndubau Junior Member

Hello,
    Excuse my english but I'm a french user of the evaluation version. I've installed Win 98 SE ; when I quit the program freeze on the black screen without conserving the parametersI've just modified (IP for network)
    I must stop the virtual machine. At the next boot I've always a scandisk...
    I've tried three reinstall ! Is there a solution ?
    Thanks
    Noël

2. EpsilonPrime

EpsilonPrime Member

Same Here

I'm having the same issue -- forget which version of 98 I'm playing with at the moment.

I was having troubles upgrading from 1320 to 1370 so I just removed the C:\Program Files\Parallels directory, rebooted, and then did the upgrade.

Still haven't gotten a version of 98 to recognize the video driver (I still see "unknown").

Good luck!

3. ndubau

ndubau Junior Member

Would you precise me what you upgrated : parallels desktop (I've the last french version release 2.5 build 3188), Windows98 (I thought there vwas no longer updates avalaible), something else ???
    Thanks for your answer
    Noël

4. ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker Member

I can't even get Win98 to install correctly. It gets to the point where it is trying to recognize P-n-P devices, but can't find drivers for any of them. When it gets here, I don't think it even recognizes the CD!

Are there any documented installation plans for Win98 by anyone? I don't know why it won't work!

5. jbh001

jbh001 Member

These are known issues. Scroll through the following post/thread. There are notes about what to do if you lose CD function, and potential work-arounds for the freeze at shut down if you want to try them out.
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=59120#post59120

(Taken from here.)

Windows 98 freezes at shutdown with Parallels video driver installed. Rolling back the driver to "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" fixes the shutdown issue but leaves you stuck at 640x480x16.

Here is the work-around to get higher resolutions and fix the shutdown issue.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  6. ndubau

ndubau Junior Member

Hello jhb001,
    Thanks for that link which gives me the explanation of that freeze ! Hope a next update will solve this problem !
    Have a goo sunday
    Noël