How to downgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Thlax, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Thlax

Thlax Junior Member

Would an admin or an awesome user post a step by step (very specific) instruction manual on how to downgrade from P7 to P6 for anyone who is having issues (specifically monitor problems).

Thanks,
    David

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Start your VM. Go to system settings, look for the Parallels tools entry and remove Parallels tools. Don't allow restart at the end of the removal procedure - just shut down the VM. Close Parallels Desktop 7. Backup your VM (just to be sure).

2. Open the DMG file that you installed Parallels Desktop 7 from. Chose Deinstallation to remove Parallels Desktop 7. Restart your host computer after the removal's completed (just to be sure).

3. Open the Parallels Desktop 6 DMG file and install PD 6 from it. Restart your host computer after the installation's completed (just to be sure again).

4. Start Parallels Desktop 6 and open your VM. Let PD 6 install the PD 6 tools which starts automatically after logon. Allow your VM to restart after the installation's completed.

5. You're done.

3. Thlax

Thlax Junior Member

Exactly. I was logging on to post those exact instructions, as I had done that a couple hours ago with tech support. I explained all my issues (multiscreen problems (full screen, workspaces) and slower host machine). He said they are all aware and will have an update very soon. I said thats great but i needed it yesterday, so I am downgrading.

I'm done venting. Ill be checking the forums to hear results of the update. When people have confirmed all is well, I may upgrade again (free since i just purchased P6 Aug. 8).

David

4. Thlax

Thlax Junior Member

Not sure if your joking? Multi Monitor issues.....

Click my name and see all my posts. That's all I've talked about. I see you have 47 posts. Not sire if you've missed them but P7 is garbage for multi monitor OS Lion setup IMO (until the update which needed to happen last week).

5. Cfried

Cfried Bit poster

If you uninstall Parallels and reinstall it do you lose everything that you had in Windows? Would I have to reinstall Office, Quicken, etc?

6. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

Well I bought the 7 upgrade but it runs so unstable and has various features missing I used to have with 6 so I am downgrading until updates prove worthy of upgrading again gonna try this step by step and hope it works with no problems!

The only thing I liked what the less CPU usage when playing my online game and the quicker starting but that dosent compensate for constant crashign of other programs such as Open canvas and MSN messenger live which are both tiny programs and shouldn't give parallels any problems :S

7. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

has anyone had any problems downgrading?

I've been very excited to install P7 but if there are small bugs that hinder my work ( i use my win7 Bootcamp opened in P6), I will have to downgrade immediately. If anything happens during the downgrading process that messes up my Bootcamp partition, i'm screwed! Do you reckon it's safe?

8. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

I suggest you clone your VM and then you can do all the changes if there are problems you can downgrade again and if you have problems downgrading you can always used your backed up VM :) that wya you can be sure you dont have to reinstall windows and all your programs again :)

9. HananielS

HananielS Bit poster

Downgraded to parallels 6 - now it wants a key?

I am having networking issues since i upgraded to lion. Now I downgraded to 6 and it wants activation key. It wont take my parallels 7 key as an acceptable alternative.
    -Hananiel

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The PDM 7 key won't work with any prior version. If you upgraded from 6, use the previous key.

11. HananielS

HananielS Bit poster

Thanks for the confirmation. Honestly I am getting tired of this . Is there any way to get my money back? I think for this trouble, Virtual Box is a better free alternative to Parallels.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1. In the forums you are talking with other users not Parallels.

2. Your problem is better addressed by using the support section of Parallels main site.

13. HananielS

HananielS Bit poster

1. Agree. Thats why I thanked you.
    2. Im sure parallels is listening. Im just expressing my frustration... no need to get defensive... Sorry about hurting your feelings.

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Obviously I don't have any feelings about this, it's not even an appropriate or relevant remark.
    In case I was misunderstood, what I meant is that the issues you are talking about are probably better addressed thru that channel.