Error 36 While Copying VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hydseek, Sep 17, 2011.

1. hydseek

hydseek Member

Ever since I upgraded to Parallels 7, this has been nothing but trouble. First, using the original build of Parallels 7, my Windows 7 VM would freeze and became unusable and would lock up everything such that I had to throw out the VM and start all over again. Next came the latest build with its share of problems as well - the freezing problem got fixed but what did not get fixed from the earlier build is the bug that would not allow me to make a copy of the VM either on the HD itself or on any external HD. I have already switched back to Parallels 6 and will not install 7 until this stupid Error - 36 bug is fixed. Yup, the Permissions are in order and the HD has been checked with Disk Utility and it is fine and the laptop is a brand new unit and the OS X Lion is a brand-new installation. Hope someone has a suggestion. An acknowledgement from Parallels would help.

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Are you saying you simply can't copy the .pvm file? If so, that really has nothing to do with Parallels.

Despite what you've checked, you could still have a disk issue.

Steve

3. hydseek

hydseek Member

When I mentioned this problem to Apple to see if they would replace the HD, their response was "this is a problem with Parallels since non-VM files are copying without hitch". So, each party wants to blame the other. Agree with Steve that this could a problem with the HD but that leaves unanswered the fact that other files are able to transfer without a hitch! Before I ditch Apple and Parallels and invest in a new HD with my money, is there something else that needs to be considered?