Lion VM full screen resolution and USB thumb drive installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GrizzlyAdams, Sep 3, 2011.

1. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Is the max screen resolution in Lion VMs limited to 1024x768? I am running a 27" iMac and want to run a Lion VM at the native resolution (2560x1440) of the screen but all it appears to do at full screen is stretch 1024x768. In the display settings 1024x768 is the only resolution available. I hope it's just me not setting something correctly.

Secondly, I wanted to install the Lion VM using my home made USB thumb drive but it doesn't appear in the list of drives as the genuine Apple USB stick does in the images on this page.

Is there any workaround for this? I'd really rather not have to run the recovery partition installer and go through the hassle of downloading the entire image every time I want to install Lion.

2. simonma

simonma Junior Member

Have u install the updated Parallels Tools?

3. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

I wasn't aware there was an update for Parallels Tools. Also, I wasn't even sure Parallels Tools applied to the Lion VM. I did try to select Install Parallels Tools from the menu bar but nothing seemed to happen.

Can you point me to where I might find the updated version? I am running the latest build of Parallels.

4. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

I solved both of my problems. It turns out Parallels Tools was NOT installed in the Lion VM. It is far less intuitive of an installation than it is for Windows. Windows seems to automatically run the Parallels Tools installer when needed.

That took care of that although there is terrible graphic tearing when I scroll the mouse over the dock.

As for being unable to install a local copy of OS X I simply copied the InstallESD.dmg file over from the Lion Installer in my Applications folder and pointed Parallels to that. That dmg file does not exist on the USB thumb drive though since the thumb drive is basically that dmg image burned to a bootable partition. I don't see why Parallels won't recognize it. I'd rather not keep the Lion installer on my machine now that I have burned the thumb drive.

5. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Certainly not obvious!

Thanks for your help…

… I guess I am so used to Parallels Tools installing in Windows automatically, that it never occurred to me to look to install it manually! I was despairing of the screen resolution!

Nic.