When I'm in bootcamp windows expand past the taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoshP, Sep 8, 2011.

1. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

I installed Parallels 7 on my Macbook Air 11" 2011 model. Since the install, whenever I boot into the bootcamp partition of Windows 7 and maximize any type of window (browser, folder, you name it) the window actually maximizes behind the taskbar to the very edge of the screen. The windows do not stop at the taskbar as they are supposed to, they maximize behind the taskbar. Please note the taskbar is locked and not hidden and prior to installing Parallels 7 this was not an issue.

Anyone else experiencing this issue and or have a fix?

Thank you,

- Josh

2. ZacharyD

ZacharyD Bit poster

Same here

I get the same thing. Also when in OSX, new applications will appear on the right side of my task bar, as if other programs where running but invisible.

3. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I've had Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion do that on occasion and worse yet it remembers where the program was open and will do the same thing if you quit and restart. The only workaround I found (short of using a tool to delete all the .ds_store files) is to change my screen resolution on the Mac. That forces it to reposition everything and usually does the trick. You can then change your screen resolution back and the program should still be within the screen.

4. ZacharyD

ZacharyD Bit poster

However, this is actually when I am over _in_ bootcamp, not running in OSX :(

It is also 100% fixable by removing Parallels Tools from Windows. So clearly it is a bug in the new Parallels 7 (I had no issue on 5 or 6)

5. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

Same here.... happens when I am in bootcamp and am not running OSX.

I have also found that it is also 100% fixable by removing Parallels Tools from Windows.

And like you I never had any issues with Parallels 6. It is only happening with Parallels 7.

6. zerocdv

zerocdv Bit poster

Also with this problem in Windows 7 in boot camp..... is there a chance to fix this ? or to load the parallels files only when parallels is running ?

7. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

I don't think so... you'd have to uninstall and reinstall every time you use it in Parallels.

Parallels just needs to FIX this problem!

8. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

This is a bug in Parallels Tools. We'll fix it ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

9. MosesY

MosesY Bit poster

For the time being, without uninstalling parallel tools. I managed to temporary fix the problem by ending the explorer.exe process in task manager and restarting it. But it has to be done everytime you start up windows in bootcamp.

10. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

@vasilyz: When will the fix be released?

Thanks,

- Josh

11. markbrads

markbrads Bit poster

This is a real pain, I have had to add a second monitor to run ie in a different window, it's crazy, you cannot download files properly as you can't see the taskbar, whats going on with a fix guy's !!!!!

I'm also having issues with audio in that if I have used the headphone socket in Boot Camp when I boot again into OS X with Parallels my audio dissapears, to fix it I have to plug the audio socket and unplug, anybody had this one or similar, I wish I had stayed with version 6 now :(

Fed up

markbrads

12. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

When will the fix be released?

@vasilyz: When will the fix be released?

Thanks,

- Josh

13. jfredsilva

jfredsilva Bit poster

I have this bug too, it's really annoying.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  14. electron73

electron73 Bit poster

This just cost me 2 hours of searching !!! I recently updated from Parallels 6 to Parallels 7 and started my bootcamped Win7 in parallels. Obviously it installed the "new" parallels tools with this BUG in them. Didn't notice anything wrong until I booted back into clean bootcamp (pure Win7 environment) and noticed the screwed up taskbar behavior !!!
    Ended up googling for hours with no real results until I finally thought, what was the LAST thing I did and that was parallels! So I uninstalled parallels tools and even WHILE it was uninstalling still, the taskbar came back to normal.

PLEASE FIX QUICKLY or, even better, make it so that the whole parallels stuff only starts IF WINDOWS IS REALLY RUN INSIDE A VM !

Thanks!

15. jfredsilva

jfredsilva Bit poster

It happened to me when I had Windows 7 64 bits, but this time I installed Windows 7 32 bits and I didn't have this bug.
    EDIT: I speak to soon... I'm still having the bug.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  16. rpungello

rpungello Bit poster

Also having this bug, but I've found a half-baked solution to it.
    If you enable auto-hiding the taskbar, you can still access it when programs are full-screened since, when auto-hiding, programs are supposed to take up the whole screen anyways (therefore the bug doesn't affect anything).
    Be nice when it's fixed, but for now it's really not that big of a deal to me. Not sure why everyone is up in arms over this.

EDIT: Hmm, auto-hiding was working before... now it's not. Odd. Oh well, flag key (Command, technically) will still bring up the taskbar :p
    Not like I'm in Windows enough for this to be a huge issue.

17. RomeoAlphaBravo

RomeoAlphaBravo Bit poster

Also annoyed

I too am super sick of and annoyed by this bug!!!! I figured out it was parallels 7 today.

Does the newest update fix this issue?

Thanks!!!!

18. RomeoAlphaBravo

RomeoAlphaBravo Bit poster

Just installed the update and it did not fix the problem of Windows maximizing behind the taskbar. Hello Parallels, fix this!!!! Also, I agree with the poster above. Give us the option to only activate the paralells' services and startup item only when running from OSX. I dont need those services running when I am in Windows Native!!!!! Come on Parallels, this is lame. Fix the bug!!!!!!!

19. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

Still NO fix???

@vasilyz: When will the fix be released? It has been over a month!

Thanks,

- Josh

20. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

Just confirming what RomeoAlphaBravo stated... the newest update did not fix this issue for me either.