Internet on Mac side stops working when I open Parallels Desktop 6

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ANDREA123, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

Hi there,

I've recently encountered a new problem. I upgraded from Parallels 4 to Parallels 6 about 2 months ago. I have had issues today connecting to the internet at work (though a router) but only when Parallels is open. I lose internet connection on my Mac and PC side when I have Parallels running. I am unable to get an IP address and get the error "Airport does not have an ip adress and cannot connect to the internet."

When I close Parallels it is fine, I get the internet no problem. I have been connecting to this network on my laptop for several months now but this is the first time that I try since updating Parallels. When I had version 4 I was able to connect to the internet without any complications. I usually do not have any issues with the internet on the PC or Mac side. I have Snow Leopard on my Mac.

Could there be some setting within Parallels that is preventing my computer from obtaining an IP address?

Thanks!

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Most likely you are using Bridged networking and the issue caused by option "Use host's MAC address for DHCP request" in the preferences of the Parallels virtual network card in the VM configuration. If Bridged to AirPort doesn't work without this options, you need to switch to Shared networking

3. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

Thanks, you were right. I guess for some reason I had it set to bridged for home networks. As soon as I changed it the problem was resolved. Thank you!