P6 disables my 'soundcard'

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by peterlemer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

Mac Intel Pro 2.4 8-core 5.1
    14G RAM
    Audio interface ( FW) RME Fireface 800

If I launch P6 before I launch iTunes, I can no longer play audio via Fireface. The music progress bar doesn't move.

as soon as I switch my audio output to iMic MIDI out or Built-in output, the music will play.

This 'stuckness' of the FW output survives even if I then quit P6.

It's like a switch has been turned off from the point of P6 launch.

In order to regain access to the FW output, I have to restart my Mac and ensure that I launch iTunes before I launch P6.

Then all is well.

In P6 configuration/hardware, the sound checkbox is unchecked.

What's going on?

pete

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

This is very strange. Parallels should not affect FireWire at all since it has no FireWire support. I wonder if the same problem would occur if you used VMWare Fusion of VirtualBox. If they did affect it, then the problem would be with the Fireface drivers.

3. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

Hi Joe, thanks for response.

I don't think that it's P6 hijacking FW, rather it's to do with audio routing at some deeper level.
    Fact is, if I launch iTunes after P6. iTunes, when routed via Audio Switcher ( set to default to FW), won't run. It stays stuck at 0. As soon as I switch to iMic USB, it plays immediately

The only way I can get iTunes to run to FW is to reboot the mac and launch iTunes first. Then I can switch to P6 with no hassle.

(ponders) perhaps Audio Switcher is causing a problem. there's an update.... watch this space

... according to Audio Switcher itself I don;t need it as Snow Leopard offers the same functionality: option-click on volume in menu bar. I never knew that. So goodbye Audio Switcher <sob>

Will test for this problem next

pete

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011