Parallels VM List

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tonyg77, Feb 17, 2007.

1. tonyg77

tonyg77 Bit poster

I have a Vista VM (traditional - non bootcamp) that starts fine when I double-click the the .pvs file, but when I attempt File>Open>Choose, it says that the VM already exists - and the VM is not in my list of available VMs.

Is there a config file that I can edit to remove the references to this VM so that when I add it via the Parallels interface, it doesn't say that it already exists (and not prompt me to rename) and it remains in the list of available VMs?

BTW - I'm running 3170 (RC3), but have dealt with this issue since RC1.

Thanks!

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

3. tonyg77

tonyg77 Bit poster

I did a thorough search of the forum before posting, and unfortunately the article that you referenced (and I've read before) doesn't address my issue...

The VM is not locked and will start fine if I double-click its .pvs. For some odd reason, Parallels thinks that this VM is in the cached list of previously (not current!) opened VMs, thus it can't be added to the list unless I rename it.

Any other ideas/thoughts?

4. freedolin

freedolin Bit poster

Exactly the same problem here.

I have just one VM (running XP Pro) which I (manually) moved from one drive to another.

Now, when I open Parallels (RC3) all it offers me is to create a new machine, but not to add an existing one.

If I create a new machine and try to open my existing VM afterwards, all I get is an error message stating that a machine with that name already exists. It offers to rename the VM, which doesn't help.

I can open and run the VM by double clicking it in the finder just fine.

Any idea how to solve this?

-- Markus

5. tonyg77

tonyg77 Bit poster

You know, that's an important detail that I left out - and you have in your scenario; I also moved the VM's folder from my internal hard disk to an external one.

Again, the VM will run perfectly fine, it just can't be started through Parallel's GUI interface. You have to double-click the .pvs file in order for the VM to start. I'd gamble and say that the original location is hanging out in a config or cache file somewhere, and just needs to be cleaned up.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

6. jrv

jrv Junior Member

Put the VM in its own subdirectory then delete any remnant link in ~/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory and try again.

7. freedolin

freedolin Bit poster

Thanks, jrv, that solved the problem. I had to start my VM once from the finder afterwards, but now Parallels "remembers" it.

-- Markus

8. tonyg77

tonyg77 Bit poster

Thanks JRV! Your suggestion definitely worked!!

Thanks again!