PD 7 UI language

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mrutter, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hello everybody.

Up to PD 6 I was able to download and install the English version of Parallels Desktop (with a valid EN activation key).
    Now, with PD 7, it seems to me that there is a single setup and once I installed it, I have PD 7 in Italian language (I'm referring to the UI language).

So my question is: how can I choose the English language for the Parallels Desktop UI? The Italian version contains wrong and misleading translations and sometime it's very hard to understand the meaning of some commands/options.

Thank you.
    Marcello

2. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

3. mrutter

mrutter Member

Dear Liudmila, thank you very much for your quick answer.

The problem, with the KB you mentioned, is that I should change the language for the whole Mac OS X.
    This is not possible. I would like to set only Parallels Desktop in English.

Thank you.
    Marcello

4. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is not possible. Language of Parallels Desktop 7 interface depends on the language of your Mac OS.

5. ThunderH

ThunderH Bit poster

I have the same question too.

Dear Parallels,

I have the same request too.
    In fact, instead of setting to the OS language (Chinese), I prefer to use English UI.
    The Chinese translation is so weird in PD7.
    Please make the manual select UI language available.

Thank you !

Denny

6. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Hello ThunderH,

Unfortunately, it is not possible. Language of Parallels Desktop 7 interface depends on the language of your Mac OS.

7. Mitchoff

Mitchoff Member

This will do it.

The free "App Language Chooser" app available from the Apple App Store will do it.

This probably isn't the place for this comment, but along the lines of the previous reply: the Japanese translation of the UI is pretty awful too. Translations of even standard computer terms is poor -- seems to have been translated by someone who knows little about computers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. VictorT

VictorT Bit poster

Hello ThunderH,
    Hello Mitchoff,
    We are constantly working on improving the localization of Parallels Desktop. We would deeply appreciate if you point out a few particular places in Japanese and Chinese Parallels Desktop 7 so that we can check these places with native speakers and correct the translations where necessary.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Victor
    Parallels Team

9. Mitchoff

Mitchoff Member

Thanks for asking, Victor.

One item that really jumped out at me was the Japanese translation for "Restart" in the Virtual Machine menu.
    It is a direct translation, so it is "再スタート" (literally: start again).
    But when you are talking about restarting a computer or peripheral device, "再起動" (saikido) is the industry standard translation. Any Windows or Mac user would know this word, which is why I questioned the abilities or background of the translator.

If you select Virtual Machine > Configure > Option tab, there is an item in the list called "Startup and Shutdown".
    The Japanese translation is wider than the width of the display area, which cannot be changed, so it cuts off.
    It says "スタートアップとシャッ", when it should be "スタートアップとシャットダウン".
    If the width cannot be changed, this item could be translated as "起動と終了" but I assume no one asked the translator to give a shorter translation, that there was no complete visual test of the localized version, and that no native speaker "proofread" the finished app.

And so on.

I don't mean to complain, but it would not be unusual for a user to form an opinion about how much a company values its foreign markets by how well (or poorly) its software is translated.

10. VictorT

VictorT Bit poster

Hi Mitchoff,
    Thank you so much for detailed explanation. We will discuss these issues with native speakers and will try improve the translations by the next update.

Kind regards,
    Victor
    Parallels Team