Broken Virtual Machine List

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dylanharris, Sep 26, 2011.

1. dylanharris

dylanharris Member

I'm running the latest Parallels 7 under Lion. I checked the knowledge base, but didn't find a reference to this problem there. Apologies if I missed it.

My virtual machine list has lost most entry locations and replaced the various icons with question marks. These machines are unmoved and unchanged on an always connected external USB drive. Oddly, Parallels 7 doesn't lose all virtual machines; the last one I added, Server 2008 R2, is retained. It never loses track of the bootcamp partition.

Now, of course, I can tell it to relocate the various virtual machines when I want to run them, so this isn't the end of the world. But it is annoying, especially since it has happened more than once.

Lion sometimes has a problem mounting this external drive, and others, properly after a boot, but I resolve that by dismounting and remounting it manually. This has not occurred since Parallels has started exhibiting this surprising behaviour, although that is probably unconnected.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

2. dylanharris

dylanharris Member

Now the virtual machine list has become so corrupt I've lost the right to launch any of my virtual machines. Indeed, I can't even remove them. I suspect I'll have to get my administrative scissors out.

I'm looking forward to the next Parallels 7 update! :)

For the support guys, when I'm prevented from running a virtual machine, Parallels reports this as Problem ID: 239. However, I can find no reference to that number on the support website, so I suspect it's a concoction of the corruption.

3. Monte Shalett

Monte Shalett Junior Member

Same problem ID 239

I have the same problem ID 239

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

5. FreddyL

FreddyL Bit poster

Hi all
    I had the same problem (ID 239) after installing the DMG (Parallels Appliance "Safe Internet 3.0") on my bare installed Lion (10.7.2 / build 11C74) on a MacBook within Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (build 7.0.15054).
    Reason / solution was:
    Installer-PKG did not grant the rights to me as normal user at all. After adding them with read & write to the "Safe Internet Virtual Appliance.pvm" already placed in the default location (/%volume%/user/home/documents/parallels/) - all worked fine. In other self created VMs this did never happen,

Hope it helps someone ;-)

6. EmDashMan

EmDashMan Bit poster

Inaccessible VM

Hi,

I had a VM that I think had been created automatically after a 'duplicate MAC address message. I could see it in my VM list, but it was telling me that the location was on a currently unmounted external drive, and that I didn't have the permissions to access it (well, durr!)! I couldn't delete the entry from within Parallels ('delete' was greyed out).

I went to /Volumes and deleted the erroneous entry there (size about 63k).

Voila.

Martin