mounting partitions of USB drive separately

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RenatoAdlon, Sep 30, 2011.

1. RenatoAdlon

RenatoAdlon Bit poster

I have a single USB drive which has 2 partitions, one is formatted for MacOS as a TimeMachine disk, the other one is FAT32 for Windows backup.
    As of now, when I connect the disk via USB, both partitions are mounted on either environment (Mac or Windows). I would like to be able to automatically mount the TimeMachine partition on Mac and the other partition on Windows, at the same time.
    Is this possible?

2. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

AS far as I know with the curren tsetup you can either connect the USB device to either MAC or the VM. this means all partitions will be mounted to either one of the two, I would probably be too complicated to mouse one partition to each machine seperatly.
    your best bet might be to use a program such as ntfsmouter.app to mousr the window paritions on your mac so you can write on it, while the time machine parition is mounted normally, then you can just access your external drive in windows through the automatic network mounted drive in My computer/ explorer. That is what I would do I guess.

3. strells

strells Product Expert

What are your Sharing settings for the VM? You could set "Share Folders" to None and turn off SmartMount. Then, under Custom Folders, add the Windows backup partition as a shared folder.

Would that work for you?

Steve