WinXP will not boot in V 1970

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eriklarshansen, Dec 11, 2006.

1. eriklarshansen

eriklarshansen Bit poster

After months of successfully using WinXP Home in V1970 of Parallels on a MacBook Pro, I had a problem booting Windows last week. Each time I tried, my computer hung and the only way to get out of Parallels was to force a shutdown with the power off button. I had carefully shut down windows before quitting Parallels in its last usage. Finally, I got Windows to load by selecting last known version that worked option.

Today, the problem re-appeared. I got a screen saying that Windows had not closed properly and offering me the usual options of Safe Mode, etc. However, this time, NONE of the options will boot XP. The boot options that show some detail hang during the driver loading phase, with the last driver loaded being Mup.sys. I have some very important data files on the Windows virtual disk, like my business' Quickbooks data file for the year, that I foolishly didn't think to save into my Shared folder. How would you suggest I solve this problem? Should I re-load Parallels? If I install the WinXP install disk, what option should I choose to repair the damage--if I should do this at all?

I could really use some help. I've spent the last four hours reading the postings to this forum but nobody seems to have this same problem.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  2. cran

cran Bit poster

I ran into pretty much the exact problem. But I was still running build 1848...tonight, I wasn't able to boot into WinXP Pro. I didn't install any new updates or anything...it just stopped working. I went and installed build 1970 and surprisingly, i was able to boot back into WinXP. Something may have got corrupted..as soon as I got into Windows my Palm Hotsync program complained some driver was corrupt or missing.

Have you tried reinstallin v1970?

Good luck!

3. eriklarshansen

I'll try reinstalling V 1970 of Parallels and see if this will do the trick. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Has anyone else had the same problem and figured out a way to solve it?

4. eriklarshansen

Great news. Reinstalling v. 1970 solved the problem and XP booted just fine using the Last Known Good Configuration option. Thank you Cran for steering me this way. I've now backed up my critical data files into the shared folder that I can read with OS X as well.

5. silverback

silverback Bit poster

I tried going back to 1970 to get past the mup.sys problem. No luck, any version I try I get a BSOD in boot and safe mode doesn't work either.

Financial information that I was about to backup once my external HD was delivered, never made it. UGH!