Parallels 7 fails to setup boot camp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jeremyhu, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

I launched Parallels 7, activated, registered, then tried to run boot camp. It fails with a fatal error. I sent the report, and it won't let me request support via the applcication (see my previous thread for that bug report), so this is my report and request for support.

2. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

The report id is 10460685 if that helps...

3. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

How did you try to launch Windows on your partition? Did you select File/New and then select BootCamp partition? If you have not set up a virtual machine you can't run it. You need to at least tell Parallels where everything is the first time you try to run Windows or Unix.

I assume you used the built-in help menu and at some step you ran into a problem, right?

4. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

megavolt, I'm not an idiot, so please don't respond assuming I am.

1) Launch Parallels.app
    2) Activate
    3) Register
    4) Selected "Use Windows from Boot Camp"
    5) Fail

Re: requesting support from the help menu, see http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=114523

If this is what passes for support from this company, I want a refund.

5. megavolt17

Did not mean to imply you are an idiot, but your post provided no information other than "it does not work", and your report number. This is a USER FORUM, most of those replying are not employees, and therefore we cannot see your report ID. "Help, it doesn't work" with no further information does not help anyone to help you.

The video you posted helps, did you actually read the error when you try to register? It tells you that the key is already in use. I had to view it twice because you did not leave the error on screen long enough. This error either means that you have registered the product already to a different email account, or your registration key is already being used by someone else. If it's just a different email account change your Parallels account email so that it matches what you are typing into the registration box. Likewise the password will need to match. Once registered some features MAY BE enabled that are not at present. I do not know if running from BootCamp is one such feature.

You are on the forum and you have made it to Parallels web site. If the help menu does not work you can go to the Support menu (http://www.parallels.com/support/) and elect to get phone support or create a support request. I suggest you take a deep breath and not bite the head of whoever you get. On the Forum we are just fellow users trying to help each other out, however your tone seems a bit harsh to someone only trying to gather more information to assist you during his free time on a Sunday.

6. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

I'm not trying to get help from another user. I'm trying to get help from a developer.

Yes, but it's not an error. It's a notification. It says that it is already in use and assigned to the account that I just logged in with.

No, it says that the key is already registered to this account.

No, it is the correct account and password.

I want to:
    1) Reach a developer, so I can help them fix this bug.
    2) Get a refund until this bug is fixed.

I am frustrated that Parallels makes it so difficult for developers to report bugs in their software.

7. megavolt17

Quote: I'm not trying to get help from another user. I'm trying to get help from a developer.

Sorry to have bothered you, but since the title of this section of Parallels Support is "Parallels Forum Connect with fellow Parallels users" you have clearly come to the wrong place...

If you do not want to deal with another user trying to assist, and instead want someone from Parallels to assist you then please go to http://www.parallels.com/, curser over Support and either select "Create Support Request", "Phone Support Hotline." If you are registered as a developer with Parallels then you may have access to "Priority Desktop Priority Support".

Please request help through the above listed links. It is not fair to say that a company does not provide good customer support if you have not requested support directly from them. It is a bit like posting on Facebook about a problem with your X-Box and then getting mad at Microsoft because they did not reply to you.

Best of luck.

8. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

Sorry, I don't see that title anywhere. =/

Ok, thanks for the pointer.

I've had issues in the past with Parallels when I tried it last year, and this year is just worse. It seems to me that if their software provides a menu item for requesting support, it should work. It should not complain that the software isn't registered in that UI and confirm that the software is registered in the registration UI.

Except that in this case, Parallels directed me to this forum in the Support section on their website, so I don't think your analogy holds ;)