I do believe this a good sign

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stevamundo, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Unless everybody isn't over their hangovers from President's day yet. :)

Seriously, I noticed a significant drop of problems/threads since Thursday when build 3170 came out. So here's hoping that it will continue.

Now watch, probably tomorrow this place will be flooding again with people having problems with 3170 to make me look like a liar. :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

wow, i didn't know that President's day was a major partying day, I must have missed that memo. ;-)

Agreed.

One, thing, I have found that build 3170 is one of the builds where you need to uninstall PTools and reinstall it.

I'm thinking this has to do with the new security option brought in in 3170.

I think if your were betting there was going to be a RC 4, it would be a long shot bet

3. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

I beg to differ. There are still a few very troubling issues that still need to be resolved this GA.

3170 is not the final build.

4. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Nobody said that 3170 was the final build for anything.

All that I'm saying is since the release of the RC3 3170 that I noticed there's significant drop of people posting problems.

I'm sorry you're still having problems. However as for me 3170 is running perfectly.

That BTW would drive me absolutely nuts if I was apart of the Parallels team. The fact that 3170 is running just fine for some people and not so fine for other people. Yeah it has something to do with different types of Macs running different software obviously. However I'm glad that I'm not the one trying to figure all of that stuff out.

As a RC4, sorry but really hope not. Let's just hope that Parallels can take away all of the bugs of 3170 for some people very soon. :)

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This dog isn't ready to hunt yet, Steve. The right way to analyze this is to turn to engineering standards and apply them to the advertised functionality and quality statements.

Then one has to ask: Does it pass all the functional test requirements? Does it pass all the quality test requirements?

Based on user feedback in these forums and blogs and other forums, and even considering some problems that are clearly in the 'failed to read and understand the manual', 'failed to read and understand the advertised features', and 'failed to read and understand the promised functionality', and not the very least, 'failed to understand the purpose of the technology' and 'failed to appreciate my responsibility', there is still a lot of broken stuff left.

Really krufty stuff to do with documentation, Boot camp integration failures, troubleshooting and diagnostics, recovering from self-inflicted stupidity, defining roles and responsibilities (blame one or more of: Microsoft (Windows XP/Vista), Apple (Boot camp), Linux d`jour (crappy products), hardware vendors (crappy USB compliance), Parallels (networking, USB problems, endless Boot camp errors, documentation, documentation, did I mention documentation?)).

If you look at this from a project manager's perspective, particularly in an audit role, you just have to scratch your head and wonder what the hell they're thinking. I really don't want to see a better polished version of this apple become the next release because it means to get what I want I have to buy it again as a subsequent release and I'm just not going to do that. I expect the ones I bought to do what they said they would do. Even features I have no intention to use because it's not about me. It's about their promises.

6. akac

akac Hunter

Personally it sounds like 90% of the issues are with Bootcamp now and feature requests for Coherence (better multi-mon support). If I was parallels, I'd remove Bootcamp as a feature for GA or make it an unsupported hidden feature.

7. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Yes I agree. As I said before, it appears that Parallels' bootcamp technology isn't quite here yet judging the last four months on this forum.

Unless Parallels has a breakthrough in their bootcamp technology very very very soon, I'd wait until 3.0 to perfect that technology. That's my opinion anyway.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Hey my friend dkp, how's 3170 working for you? I'm just curious.

Also BTW if 3170 is working well for dkp too, I'm NOT saying that build 3170 is ready for a prime time.

I guess the button line is, it always amazed me in computers how a program work well for some people and not so well for others. Even though I know the reason, different people having different types of computers with different configurations and running different software etc. etc. etc.

Besides the thread was about me noticing since of the release of RC3 3170 there's been a lot less people posting problems with 3170 and hopefully that's a good sign.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I like it quite a bit. I've not had trouble with any of the builds that prevented me from doing what I needed to do even if it meant doing some things in OS X that I'd rather have done in Windows or Solaris. A bonus was when 3170 solved my Treo sync problem for Windows. The real demonstration of acceptability/stability is that I installed 3170 on my wife's Mac Mini where it is working very well. Her system has and needs a USB floppy drive and it is seen in OS X and Windows, and all her image scanner/colorjet equipment works as needed.

What I don't do is bother with boot camp, iSight, and some of the other hot spots others are fighting. I don't need them and for my purposes don't care if it works or not, but I will be in a position to assist others that will need those features to work, so I'l be impacted indirectly by the success of failure of Parallels to bring stability and ease of use to those features.

10. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Yeah I think you're exactly right there dkp.

BTW I set my iSight on the Parallels side up just for the heck of it. It works well. Although it works slower on the Parallels sides than on the Mac side. I don't really care. That's definitely not a show stopper. :)

11. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

The BootCamp VM feature is pretty much the only reason i use parallels. It works flawlessly for me and has never crashed once. The same applies to all my friends that are running parallels.
    It would be a HUGE kick in the teeth for all users like me if this feature was removed/disabled.

I would like to see more support for Linux VM in the final release - Tools for linux is a MUST.

Chrisj303

12. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

You know, this is the first post to where I see bootcamp actually works in Parallels!

I just have a question. Why do you need bootcamp in Parallels? Is it just because you can boot up into native Windows without restarting your Mac, or is it something more?