Tmobile hotspots and Parallels not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Marketsync, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Marketsync

Marketsync Bit poster

I am using Parallels RC3 with Mac OS x with all patches and Windows xp.

When I log into the T mobile hotspot in Mac Os x, I am not able to access the internet from within Parallels. I tried changing the Network Adapter to all the different combos. Has anyone been able to get this to work? I need to access my Windows apps when I am on the road.

Thank you in advance!

Jeremy

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Was one of those combos shared networking?

3. Marketsync

Marketsync Bit poster

Yes it was. I also rebooted the machine, rebooted windows xp. no luck.

I have not problem connecting to other wireless networks. Mac os had no probleming accessing hte Tmobile Hot spot network. None of my windows apps could access the internet.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So have you determined you have no connectivity at all vs no DNS support? The test is to ping an IP of a remote site you know will return a ping. In theory, when running shared networking Tmobile has no way of knowing you have a vm running. Anything your Mac can do your Windows should be able to do, assuming Windows has a valid DNS name server configured.

The drill is:

In an OS X terminal, type
    ifconfig -a
    netstat -rn
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

In a Windows terminal type
    ipconfig /all

5. Marketsync

Marketsync Bit poster

Yes. I did this. nothing was returned. The networking incon in windows had a ip address in it.

Tmobile Hotspots requires you to log on using a web page where you enter your user and password. Which I did in the mac os. The windows os, couldn't load a web page. If it could, I would have at least gotten the Tmobile hotspot log on page.

I had no problem using Mac apps to access the internet. No go with windows apps.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

See, that's the thing. With shared networking, your vm should be no more remarkable than an ftp client running in OS X. It is completely hidden behind OS X. You shouldn't need to visit that web page from windows because the connecting network interface is already accepted by Tmobile. Windows connects only to OS X and that forewards all requests through the correct interface which I assume to be wireless. Where things can go to hell is if TMobile creates a user layer PPP type connection that does not get passed back to Windows. Or gawd forbid a cookie-based browser only proxy connection. If that's the case you're screwed.