Coherence on 30" apple cinema display

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mattfreeman, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

Coherence on 30" apple cinema display - NOT WORKING

I am running windows xp at 2560*1600 and mac osx at 2560*1600

I can not run coherence without going down to 1920*1200 and if I then switch up to 2560*1600 it gets switched off.

The error is unable to switch to coherence mode. primary operating system does not support screen resolution requested by quest operating system. select another resolution for the quest operating system or review your video system configuration.

How can I get Coherence working on my monitor at a reasonable resolution.

Matthew

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

I just worked out that when the full screen xp spins around to go into coherence it switches the resolution from 2560*1600 to 2429*1479 . How can this be changed as parallels auto-changing the resolution is not helping!

3. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

and as a result of parallels changing the screen resolution coherence still does not work on a 30 inch apple cinema display

4. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

I am running coherence on a HP LP3065 monitor with no problems at all. 2560*1600 resolution. Do you have the newest Parallels release?

5. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

I am using the latest rc3 candiate...

For some reason whenever it goes from Full screen to coherence parallels changes the guest windows xp resolution from 2560*1600 to 2429*1479 and then guest and host have different resolutions... I do not want to change mac osx resolution down to use coherence.

6. mkummer

mkummer Member

There are some little glitches: I use the Cinema 30 in addition to my MacBook Pro 17. Parallels XP runs in 1600x1200 on the Cinema. Coherence works. But if I switch to Dual Monitor mode I get an error message if I go to Coherence mode. Seems the resolution 1600x1200 is too big for the 17 Monitor - but the main monitor is 30 inch! Having the Cinema in use, Parallels XP needs to stall about 35 to 45 sec. after waking XP. On the 17 monitor alone, this takes place instantaneously.

7. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

I have used dual monitors before, it worked with a 23 inch monitor and a 18 inch monitor previously.

I now have a main monitor 30 inch and a 23 inch monitor (both apple cinema) setup.

8. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

Found a half solution to the problem.

If you want to use the native resolution of the 30 inch cinema display you can NOT NOT use dual monitor support. Bummer......

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

This is probably a video memory limitation in the virtual video card. Set your video ram to the max and try.

10. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

I have the video ram set to 32mb. The maximum allowed.

I am running on a mac pro with 12 GIGS of ram, 512mb radeon 1900 card. The setup has 1.5GB dedicated to windows xp and 2GB to parallels. I could run dual screen coherence on a 23 inch cinema monitor and 18 inch monitor simul.

However when trying to run dual screen on a 30 inch monitor it resizes

"For some reason whenever it goes from Full screen to coherence parallels changes the guest windows xp resolution from 2560*1600 to 2429*1479 and then guest and host have different resolutions."

Matthew

11. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

when I added a cinma display to my june 2006 MacBook pr 17 "

I was advised in the Bull Ring Apple shop not to go above 22" for the second display in Sept 2006

I fear there is not enough physical memory in the video card for the bigger screen

Hugh W

12. palter

palter Hunter

Well, whoever at Bull Ring gave you incorrect advise.

The tech specs page for the MacBook Pro's clearly state that they support the full resolution of the 30" screens as an external display.

13. wvdheiden

wvdheiden Junior Member

Coherence

Hi

I have the same problem. Using a MacBook Pro and a 30' Cinema display does not allow me to use Coherence on 2 displays. I'm using Parallels build 3188. Any chance of a solution??
    Apart from that: This is _really_ great!!

Walter