Mouse use in Parallels MMO gaming

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Fjordstorm, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Fjordstorm

Fjordstorm Bit poster

I have both Fusion and Parallels installed on my MacBook Pro and iMac. I have enjoyed the ease of use far more in Parallels for professional applications and there use of Coherence versus Fusion's Unity. However currently I keep both programs installed with duplicate VMs because of one issue:

Mouse behavior while gaming in Parallels

It is almost unusable. I have changed all the settings and it still does not help. My game of choice currently is LOTRO and it makes the gaming experience very difficult when you cannot use the mouse for looking about your character (interestingly enough the Right Click + hold works just fine, it is the left click + hold for pivoting around the character that gives the issue). I had the same issue in Warhammer and also AgeOfConan.

Does anyone else play MMOs in Parallels and experience the same issues? Does anyone have a fix so I can recover almost 80GB of wasted space on duplicate VM copies?

**Edit: This is happening in both Windows XP SP 3 and Windows 7 (and yes I know this is experimental)

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. mH2

mH2 Member

This is still an issue...

How can Parallels be great for gaming, if it can't control the mouse.

If I attach a second mouse and give that mouse to the VM, then I get an invisible mouse! however, at least the Left-Click-n-Hold works properly...<sigh>

I am left with a VM that I can not use.
    I switched from VMWare's Fusion because it was slow, but atleast the games played...
    Oblivion was quite playable on Fusion, and now with an Intel i7 iMac and 8G of RAM, maybe Fusion wouldn't be so bad!?!

I don't need Coherance and would be willing to lose that capability to get a proper mouse.

3. Friz!TI

Friz!TI Bit poster

I have an simular problem with The Pirates of the Burning Sea i can't play properly the mouse only turns 360 degrees when i like look left or right. To zoom in or Out is troublesome.

4. Friz!TI

Friz!TI Bit poster

Nobody has a solution? I temporary installed bootcamp :(

5. mH2

mH2 Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

6. mH2

mH2 Member

Official response ... so far...

I have run this "up the flag pole" with an exhaustive list of detailed information in tickets #1098567 and then 'second level' ticket #8098142 (filed on version 11994). It has now been passed up to the Developer level.

I hope this means they feel they now have the information necessary to reproduce and finally fix this annoying bug...

Here's to hoping!

7. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member

Posted a Support Request today on this

8. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

More information in this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=113589

The key issue is this:
    I believe that during that 100ms, the mouse is still in absolute mode and the game can't handle the native (MacOS) mouse acceleration and movement - hence the crazy spinning.

9. mH2

mH2 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the link to the detailed info. :)

This matches most of what I've seen.
    The only difference is that I've got the Right-click-n-drag to work in the virtual machine...now if we could just get the left one.

I also noticed that the 3D game seems to "store" the current position of the mouse before it starts to pan or turn the camera...and probably "restore"s it when you let up the mouse button...
    I don't know if the APIs called for this could be intercepted or otherwise used...?

10. JHS

JHS Bit poster

When is this spinning mouse problem going to be fixed?

Looking through all the various posts on this spinning mouse problem with 3d games goes back at least until the beginning of the year. Obviously it is not an easy fix but is there some sort of ETA on when this will be fixed as it has been asked of many many times and was not fixed in the version 7 upgrade?

11. JHS

JHS Bit poster

It sure would be nice if a company rep. could respond to this.

Thank you.

12. JHS

JHS Bit poster

Pretty please.

13. JHS

JHS Bit poster

I paid $80 to hopefully play pc games on the Mac. I have made several posts exhibiting specific problems with no developer response. Thanks for nothing Parallels.

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

15. JHS

JHS Bit poster

Thanks. I posted here because I have seen the developers respond to this particular topic in the past so I assumed that they read the forums. It is a bummer though that it has been brought up many times and on occasion they respond but now choose not to.

16. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member