Lotro under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristianB, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ChristianB

ChristianB Bit poster

I recently installed Windows 7 into a VM under Parallels in order to get better performance on playing lotro (Lord of the Rings Online) vs. my existing Vista VM under Parallels. FYI, the Vista VM is a bootcamp partition, while the Windows 7 is not. (I would actually like to resize my partitions in order to be able to create a new Windows 7 partition, but that is another issue.)

The problem that I am having with Windows 7 and lotro is that the game sound quits after a while. Even after the game stops producing sounds Windows 7 still is able to produce sounds. I have asked in-game and no one running on a Mac with Windows 7 seems to have this issue. However, I haven't found anyone running it under Parallels to see if they suffer the same fate.

All the software is up to date. I have tried reinstalling Parallels tools and the sounds driver. I don't have any sound issues either running the game under Vista through boot camp or as a VM under Parallels.

Any ideas on how to rectify the issue?

2. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member

I suggest to NOT use Windows 7 because Parallels does not support Direct X above version 9.
    This means the best performance will be in Windows XP for running Lotro.

In any case You can visit a review by money.cnn.com that details running lotro on parallels 7, and some other bugs Parallels has for example Windows Mouse behaviour in Gaming
    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds..._windows_gaming_in_os_x_with_parallels_7.html

I believe you can run Lotro as long as you turn off direct X 11 support in game.
    OC