PD7 and print driver issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BarryinColorado, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BarryinColorado

BarryinColorado Junior Member

Installed PD7 Build 7.0.14922 under Lion 10.7.1. I use a year old MacBook Pro with plenty of memory. It works fine and I have no slow startup or shutdown issues using PD 7 or in Lion. In fact, PD 7 does seem to operate my Win 7 VM rather nicely and Coherence mode works just fine. I do not use multiple monitors. I have taken a look at CPU usage with Activity Monitor and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

My issue: when I boot into Win 7 VM, I get several not beeps but sounds (about 5 or 6) that I have tracked down to being an issue with print drivers. The good thing is in the Win 7 device screen it now shows the real names for my Mac connected printers and it does seem to print with no problems. But it shows HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS as the printers other name and I guess the driver it is using rather than a driver for the printer D110 HP PhotoSmart that I have connected to the Mac. I think this is the issue with the beeps as the VM starts. It still prints fine.

I have tried deleting all the Mac connected printers and then when the VM (Win 7) starts, I get no beeps but the only printer it shows is HP8500 and nothing prints (I do not have that printer ).

So, how to get rid of the startup beeps???????

I called Parallels help desk and they told me to not worry about it since everything still works. This seems like a minor bug that should be fixable.
    or maybe some setting I need to make or drive to install??
    My configuration setting is
    add all Mac printers and synchronize default printer.

2. JohannesA_66

JohannesA_66 Bit poster

Same Problem with Printerdriver

Hi, it seems, that i have exactly the same problem. When VM (Win7) starts, a Driver for the HP Color Laserjet 2800 Series PS is installed 10 times. I never had such a printer. Attached is a picture of the Win7 message. Any solutions yet?

rgds
    hannes

Attached Files:

3. kmkirlin

kmkirlin Bit poster

Those beeps are probably W7 populating printers

I'm running a slightly different setup: still using OSX 10.6.8 on my iMac, PD7 and recently upgraded to W7 Pro. When W7 boots it populates printers for all the printers installed on the Mac side. They all have HP 2800 printer drivers. Presumably, this is a function of Parallels telling W7 to access the printers installed on the Mac side. I directly installed printers on the W7 VPC and deleted the Mac printers configured automatically by W7 on bootup. Doesn't matter. Next time I boot W7, the shared Mac printers populate again with HP drivers. The beeps you hear on W7 bootup are probably the audible alert from W7 from sensing a new peripheral device and installing the printer driver (unfortunately the wrong one). I don't think its a Windows issue. I think its a Parallels issue, but I can't find anything in the KB dealing with it. I haven't tried it yet, but am considering turning off printer sharing in Parallels and going with the printer drivers directly installed on W7. My workaround now is to designate unique names for the printers directly installed on Windows, so I can select the correct printer and have all the printer features available. A little clunky, but it works.

4. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

I hate the same problem with version 7 which is another reason why I went back to 6, it pisses me off that still the issue hasen't been commented on by parallels staff. it woudl be nice if windows wouldnt always reinstall the the drivers at every start the 50 throusand bleeps and slow strart caused by this is annoying. win xp same thing as win 7

5. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi, All.

Starting from version 7 we have new feature in Parallels Desktop called somthing like "Automatically shared printers".
    This feature works only with Windows gusts.
    To enable it your need to do the next:
    - Updated "Parallels Tools" in guest Windows
    - Check "Add all Mac printers" in vm's configuration editor
    Both this steps done automatically when your update PD6 to PD7.

If you have just annoyed beeps on guest start/restart - disable this feature.
    To disable it your need just uncheck "Add all Mac printers" in vm's configuration editor.
    After this you can still use printers in your guest OS just like you do this in previouse
    versions of PD - go to vm configuration editor and add all required printers manually.

We will try to get ride of annoyed beeps on guest start/restart as soon as posiable.

If you have not just annoyed beeps on guest start/restart but printer drivers always
    start reinstalled on guest start - please create problem report and contact our support
    team for further investigation.

Thank you for feedback.

6. r8thomas

r8thomas Bit poster

ok, this is an old post, but i have the same issue that is causing a different problem.

Using parallels 10.1.4, but this has been going on for several versions, where the print driver for my HP photosmart c7280 is not used and a driver for HP color laserjet 2800 series is used. this is done automatically by something other than me (windows, hp, mac, or parallels). it prints, however i have none of the controls that exists on the c7280. For example, i print a lot of pages that can be in fast draft mode, but the 2800 driver only prints in best mode. no other options. there are several things like this.
    I can go into the print properties and change the driver to the c7280, and it says it printed, but nothing prints and the print queue shows zero the whole time. not sure where the print command sent it to.
    I manually configured the c7280 on the windows side and then connect to it via the Device/External Device drop down. Then I have full control over print options etc., but it is a pain and sometimes forget to disconnect when on Mac side and things don't print until i disconnect.
    the c7280 print option all exists on the mac side
    So...is this 2800 laser jet driver the workaround for a bug? seems to have been around awhile, hoping there is a fix.
    thanks
    rick

7. r8thomas

r8thomas Bit poster

update,
    found another posts where installing Bonjour helped do what i wanted. thanks.
    However, one small follow up i need help on.
    After i rebooted windows, in the print queue are two old print files with an error on them. I am able to print a new job, but these old ones sit there and can not be deleted. I have done the routine of stopping the print spooler and going to the the printer folder under windows32 to empty that, but it was already empty.
    any suggestions on how to delete these old print job errors?
    Rick