3D graphics support - False advertising !

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MacGamer404, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

3D graphics support

My Macbook Pro has AMD Radeon 6750M GPU with 1GB GDDR5 video RAM.
    When I am trying to launch the "Might and Magic: Heroes VI" game in Parallels Desktop 7
    with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed in virtual machine,
    I get the following error:
    "Your video card does not meet the minimum requirements"

Minimal requirements of the game :
    * Minimum 512 MB of Video RAM
    * Vertex Shader 3.0
    * Pixel Shader 3.0
    * Vertex Texture support with R32F or R16F format
    * Render Target support with R32F and G16R16F format
    * DirectX 9.0c

You claim that Parallels Desktop 7 :
    * Supports Shader Model 3.0 - which includes both Vertex Shader 3.0 and Pixel Shader 3.0
    * Can allocate up to 1GB of Video RAM
    * Supports DirectX 9.0c

In the configuration of a virtual machine, video memory is set to maximum,
    and both 3D acceleration and vertical synchronization are enabled.

Why does it happen?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

Depending on the detection mechanism used by the game, it may not correctly detect what is there. I've downgraded from PD7 back to PD6 for the time being because a game I'm playing performs better under PD6. It's not always as simple as a checklist, especially when it comes to games. AMD and nVidia will both release "new" drivers after many big games come out so they can add specific performance tweaks to those drivers for THAT game.

I haven't picked up M&M:HVI, so I can't really try things out, but you might try asking for help before slinging mud around and claiming you've been duped.

Do you boot camp too? Have you tried running it under that?

3. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

Sorry for my previous post, perhaps I was too angry yesterday.

Today I have tried bootcamp, and it worked.

So, is it true that Parallels Desktop 7 supports these features, but the game failing to detect them?

Is there any way to skip the game's check for the features and force launch the game?

4. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

Still going to be game by game for a possible skip.

I probably can't post links to such things here, but there are ways to go around some checks made by games (whether this includes the graphics check...depends again on the game and the...way around).

Of all the virtualization I've used in the past however many years, Parallels has by far been the best for me with games/3d support, by far.

I haven't had a chance to go through this thread completely, but it sounds like a number of people are having issues with laptops in general! Maybe there's a nugget in here that will help:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5861060878/m/7481090359/p/1
    another possible thread:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4611096804/m/3321092059/p/2

I hope you find an answer! I found the demo for the game - going to give it a try sometime to see if the DEMO works or has the same issue you're describing (in which case I can try stuff instead of just typing possiblities!).

5. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

While the large demo is downloading, over a relatively slow connection.... I had a thought.

Do you have gfxcardstatus (or something that can lock the video card to integrated vs. discrete)?
    http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

If yes, make sure you have it set to "discrete" before launching your virtual machine.

If you don't have it.... go get it, then set it to "discrete" before launching your virtual machine.

Your mac should bump to discrete by itself when Parallels runs....but just in case. Plus, it's an awesome little program for controlling the graphic card state.

6. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

Yes, I have gfxCardStatus installed + discrete selected.
    And my issue is not similar to other players' issue - they have black screen/crash;
    in my case the game is "working", but refusing to launch
    because of bad detection of graphics features.

7. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

I had to upgrade back to PD7 (been using 6 for that different game I didn't mention in my first post) and got the latest build (10/5 - 14924). PD tools updated, reboot and the demo loaded just fine.

I have the 2011 MacBook Pro with the same video card as you mentioned (AMD Radeon 6750M GPU w/1GB).

Unfortunately, that probably doesn't help you much. I'm going to assume you're already on build 14924, and you said you were on discrete. Unless your PDtools hasn't upgraded for some reason, it sounds like it may be a difference between the demo and the full game. Has there been an update to the game itself recently?

8. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

check your private messages on this forum.

9. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

Finally, the update 1.1.1 has fixed my problem! =)
    It seems that the video card detection was buggy, now its all right.

The game itself is quite buggy - a lot of abilities does not work properly, or at all!
    Guess it's better to wait for a few patches before going into campaign.

@sshumway: Thank you for the help!
    Have a nice day, and enjoy your shiny computer =)

10. sshumway

sshumway Bit poster

Glad things worked out! Hopefully the rest of the game's bugs will get fixed for you too.

I wonder how Skyrim is going to run... :)