Key mappings to RDP session

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tom K, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Tom K

Tom K Bit poster

I am finding that the key mappings are not passing through in an RDP session to another Windows machine. For example, when I need an upper case letter, the shift key does not seem to be recognized with the first keystroke.

To get an uppercase "A", I need to hold shift down and press a twice, which results in "aA". The first keystroke is not put in upper case.

Is this a known issue, and what can I do about it?

2. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

What version of OSX and Parallels are you running?

3. Tom K

Tom K Bit poster

Latest versions of both, Lion and 7.

4. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Are you using Remote Desktop in Windows or another software package. I have used Remote Desktop to connect to Windows Azure servers without this issue. It could be a delay issue with your connection.

5. Tom K

Tom K Bit poster

I apologize for my delay in responding.

This is using remote desktop in Windows, connecting to a Windows 2008 R2 server.

It seems that the issue is only present when I am using an Apple keyboard. If I use a Microsoft keyboard, the keys behave correctly. If I activate the caps lock on the Apple keyboard, it behaves correctly.

To restate the problem, when holding down the shift key, the first keystroke is not recognized as caps but subsequent keystrokes are. This occurs when I am running ...

boot OSX Lion -> Parallels 7 -> Win 7 -> remote desktop -> Windows 2008 Server

I have also observed this when connecting to other servers with Citrix instead of remote desktop.

Is there a configuration or setting in Parallels that I can change to avoid this?

The issue makes it quite difficult to type passwords on the remote server, and I need to be especially carefully when writing code. :)

6. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Is the mac keyboard connected via Bluetooth or USB?

7. Tom K

Tom K Bit poster

Bluetooth (Apple Wireless Keyboard)