Dvorak cut/copy/paste shortcuts in XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ragin.jason, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ragin.jason

ragin.jason Bit poster

I've had this issue for a while, and I've decided to try to address it again. I cannot for the life of me get cmd-X/C/V to map to control-X/C/V. I am using a Dvorak map in OS X and in XP. It seems that even if I try to map the unmapped keycode to control-C (i.e. cmd-I -> control-C), it doesn't work. Details:

* Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac (build 6.0.12094)
    * Windows XP guest OS
    * Mac OS X 10.6.8

Specific questions:

* Do I need to reboot OS X or my VM after making keybinding changes? (I have not done so; did not assume it required)
    * Preferences -> Keyboard has a Profile dropdown. I'm editing the Windows profile. I don't see a way in my VM settings to confirm that it is setup to use the Windows keyboard profile. Does this just work as expected or is there something I can do to confirm this?
    * Naturally the last question is: has anyone fixed/addressed this issue before?

2. Technolingua

Technolingua Bit poster

Frustraited Settings

I too am having similar issues. I have parallels 7 and Windows 7 if that makes a difference. Apparently Parallels is using the actual key codes to do the remapping on both sides and not the actual symbol, so for control-C don't map this: (cmd-I -> control-C) do a strait combo (cmd-I -> control-I). I'm having only one little hickup - I can't map the control-V (needs to be remapped as . (the >/. key). The mapping combination is not taking the key when I hid '.'

The settings take effect immediately in OSX, at least they should.

Hope this helps someone and I'd love some help in learning how to remap the . (period) key.

3. WheatW

WheatW Junior Member

I have the same problem. It's difficult to get people who don't understand Dvorak to comprehend what a big problem this is for us Dvorak users. I hope that Parallels can address this issue, because it also affects users of other keyboard layouts such as those for languages other than English.

4. Technolingua

Technolingua Bit poster

My Final Solution

As for remapping keys etc. I ultimately just went with turning off the "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts" altogether and mapped cmd->ctrl and ctrl->win key. Most of the shortcuts work fine. Copy/Paste is fine and so is all my function keys in my development environment. The only real pain with this is that I lose access to the cmd+space key for spotlight and the cmd+tab for the application switching. I have to hit optn+ctrl to release the VM and then I can hit mac shortcuts, or use the mouse to select a mac program in the doc. It's an acceptable workaround for now.

My current key remappings are
    cmd+x -> alt+f4
    cmd -> ctrl
    ctrl -> win
    cmd+apostrophe -> ctrl+apostrophe
    alt+1+tab -> win+tab

Also, I found that I can hit cmd+W or cmd+Q (the qwerty keys not Dvorak - so in Dvorak its cmd+, and cmd+') and it actually passes those to mac OS and closes the virtual machine window or quits Parallels altogether. Actually kinda nice.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. WheatW

WheatW Junior Member

Remapping Command and Control in the Mac OS X System Preferences is only useful if you are working exclusively in the virtual machine with Windows. But what if you are constantly moving back and forth between a Windows application and a Mac application? Then it is no help at all. That's my situation. I need to go from a Windows application to a Mac application sometimes several times each minute for a couple of hours.

6. Technolingua

Technolingua Bit poster

Another Option for Dvorak layout

I was reading about re-mapping keys for another task I was looking at and ran across this article. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2011051714140216

Essentially you leave your keyboard in QWERTY and then you manually remap the keys using this program so the computer sees it as all QWERTY keys and you don't have to deal with Parallels settings getting messed up at all. It re-maps the keys at a deeper level.

I may do this just to see how it works, but it might solve someone's problem nicely.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. Technolingua

Technolingua Bit poster

8. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Dvorak keyborad layout is not supported by Parallels Desktop 7 yet. Feature request has been submitted

9. Technolingua

Technolingua Bit poster

A better solution

I just wanted to let people know that I ultimately did use KeyRemap4MacBook available at http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/ and it works wonderfully. It does have just a checkbox for Dvorak and other keyboard layouts and remaps the keys so that Parallels and every other app sees them as though they were hard-wire mapped (and leaving the mac system keyboard as US QWERTY). Meaning that I don't have to adjust remote desktop keyboard layouts either. All the keyboard shortcuts work wonderfully in Parallels.

10. Bildog

Bildog Bit poster

Thanks for the tip Technolingua! I've been a frustrated dvorak'er for years. keyremap4macbook is working out great and I'm psyched.

11. MichaelL17

MichaelL17 Bit poster

I am reading this in 2017 and I had semi support for dvorak and the parallels keyboard shorcuts. Yes, CMD+X was working but somehow CMD+v (paste) was not working. After reading 'Bildogs' and 'Technolinga' comments, I wanted to try BetterTouchTool. It works brilliantly!

I remapped CMD+V to CRT+V with BetterTouchTool. (select the app you want it to workin, say Excel 2010).

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 1.01.41 PM.png