bootcamp and parallel activation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nimrod, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nimrod

nimrod Bit poster

I am using xp with paralles. i want to add bootcamp. will i have to activate xp again and will M$ let me

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

If you want to add Boot Camp, then you are going to install Windows XP again. Unless you are using a different copy (or a Corporate version like me) then you probably have to call Microsoft for the second activation. And, Microsoft may or may not allow you to activate for the second time.:mad:

[​IMG]

3. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

When I did my second activation, I called them, let them know that I was reinstalling on my Mac Pro with Parallels (first activation was bootcamp). They said OK and gave me another activation key. Was not a problem at all.

j

4. yeti.man

yeti.man Bit poster

This is a question I have been wondering about.

How about for Vista? If I install Vista under bootcamp (I know its not supported yet, but...) and activate it, then install in Parallels, will I be caught in an activation loop every time I want to boot into one or the other? Or does activation only need to happen once per install (ie. once for parallels and once for bootcamp)?

I am afraid that I will be forced to grab two copies of Vista. Ugh! My stomach hurts just thinking about it. Or is that the thai food I had for dinner....