Cisco VPN trouble in Shared Networking mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tonyvance, Feb 3, 2007.

1. tonyvance

tonyvance Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running the Cisco VPN client for OS X (4.9.000050) and the latest beta of Parallels Desktop for Mac (3150). In previous versions I have been able to share the VPN connection in OS X from a Windows XP (SP2) VM.

However, now eventhough I have shared networking selected, I can't get an IP address from within Windows XP (SP2) or Vista (Business edition). However, when the VPN connection is terminated, shared networking works fine. Any ideas? I'm running OS X 10.4.8 with the latest software updates.

Thanks for your help,

Tony

2. tonyvance

tonyvance Bit poster

Actually, after closer examination I found that shared networking doesn't work at all, in either Vista or XP. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

3. chanchristopher

chanchristopher Bit poster

Hi,

Exactly the same problem I am facing.

I was using Windows XP Professional (SP2) in Parallels Desktop 3120 and spotted the problem that I am not able to connect to the internet once I start the Cisco VPN connection under shared network mode. However, everything is fine if I am not connected with the Cisco VPN network.

I tried the 3150 and the problem is not solved. I have also update the VPN client to 4.8.01.0590 but the problem still exists. It would be so good if anyone get a solution as the shared network mode is more friendly to the default apdapter mode.

Mine is a MacBook C2D with OSX 10.4.8 and all updates.

Thanks.

PS. I have been in network with static IP as well as DHCP and the problem exist in either setup.

4. mr43

mr43 Bit poster

Same problem, so I tried installing Cisco VPN for Windows and both Windows XP and the MAc kept crashing until I removed the program from Windows

5. mouserider

mouserider Bit poster

I'm using RC2 3150 and I run Cisco VPN Client on the Mac (4.9.00 (0050))

My Parallels is running in Shared Networking mode, XP SP2 installed as the Guest OS.

If I run the VPN Client first, connect to the VPN, then run Parallels, everything works fine.

If I run Parallels first, the run VPN Client and connect, nothing works, not even the Mac side.

It should be noted that the connection process within Cisco VPN Client suceeds in both situations, so as far as Cisco VPN Client is concerned, everything is fine.

So I suspect that there is a routing issue somewhere.

I have tested this several times and the results are consistent.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I've had problems with the OS X verson of the VPN interacting with Parallels and I think it is a kerel module loading order problem. I know that vpn works fine for OS X and Windows here, but if I upgrade Parallels I always have to exit vpn and reload it so that it will reconnect. After I've done this it always works after. I use shared networking so Windows automatically sees the vpn connection via OS X as soon as it starts. There is no need to fiddle with the XP net stack to get things working. I've not needed to restart the Windows VM. All of this seems to be wrapped around the irregular state management that Parallels is providing when it is hosting Windows.

I have seen this problem, though. The vpn does not pass DNS server info to the VM - you have to do that manually at least in my vpn world in order for name resolution to work with the VPN network hosts.

7. b.c

b.c Junior Member

I have similar problem with Cisco VPN client v4.9.00 (0050) running on the Mac side with Shared Networking, VM is Win XP SP2. Mac OS 10.4.8 on a MacBook Pro C2D.

starting with build 3036, I could successfully use VPN and shared networking, and everything worked as expected from within the VM.

then in some later beta build VPN partially stopped working (sorry I forgot exactly which one!). I'm now using 3170, but I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3036 and the problem remains, even though it worked originally with 3036.

by "partially stopped working" I mean the following:
    in shared networking, with VPN active on the Mac side, my mapped network drives in XP cannot be accessed by name (e.g. \\server1\projects doesn't work), but I can access the same drive if I specify the IP address (e.g. \\172.22.196.100\projects mounts the desired drive)

if I change to Bridged Networking, and run the XP version of the Cisco VPN client then everything works correctly.

I've also tried the order of things suggested above by mouserider and dkp, but no difference. likewise I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the VPN client to no avail.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't even get it to work if I uninstall Parallels and reinstall the old 3036 build. perhaps there's some problem file or setting that doesn't get deleted when you uninstall Parallels that's causing the problem?

I have installed the various Apple software updates released since 3036(early Dec), though I'd guess those aren't the problem.

I also installed the bootcamp drivers (to get iSight working) - I just thought of this -- is there something incompatible among those drivers and Parallels+VPN? but I'm not sure how to uninstall those drivers to test that theory...

anyone have any other ideas? thanks in advance for any suggestions.

8. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

I just booted up Cisco VPN within Windows, and everything is working well for me connecting from the PC side, at least.

I have Parallels 3170 RC 3, and the PC has an older version of the Cisco VPN on it, 4.02, that I haven't bothered to upgrade as it still works well.

9. b.c

b.c Junior Member

just to followup, my problem with Shared Networking mentioned above remains in release version 3186.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels, even prior beta versions like 3036 which used to work, now still don't work. I'm really at a loss as to why it stopped working...

anyone else out there with similar Shared Networking trouble find a fix?

10. rjhoff

rjhoff Bit poster

I had similar issues to those in this thread, I finally fixed it by disabling the Mac OS firewall.