Microsoft limiting Vista on Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MarkHolbrook, Feb 25, 2007.

1. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

2. wesley

wesley Pro

This is an old news, despite FOX News posting about it right now. The limitation is purely legal. Nothing technical prevents you from installing 'the lesser' versions of Vista inside Parallels.

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I'd question using the word "Legal", since EULA click throughs have never been determined to be legally binding on the end-user.

In other words, the EULA has the restriction written into it, but there is nothing technically preventing you for doing what you want with the software once you purchase it. It's more of a way for MS to maximize their profits.

First off, all the "eye-candy" on the higher priced versions is useless in Parallels. For the best speeds, you want all that eye-candy turned off anyways, so why pay for it.

Personally, I don't know what all the big worry about Vista is anyhow. WinXP SP2 in a virtualized environment is more that adequate to run ANY Windows program out there and run it well. Does anyone think that the program will run any Better or Faster using Vista? :rolleyes:

4. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

Please keep in mind that since Microsoft has written this into their EULA they probably will not support certain versions of Vista when used in VMs.

Install what you will at your own risk.

5. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Unless you actually call MS for support, that point is irrelevent. And most users have never spoken to MS for support.

6. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Thanks for the info guys... I use XP but I would like to play with Vista and see if our stuff will run in it and wondered about the versions and which is the best to get.

Once again I consider MS OS versions to be confusing. I found Win2000 to be great. You had win2000 and win2000 server. That was it. Then along came XP: XP Home, XP Pro. Was never quite sure what the difference once.

Now Vista has what 5 versions?

Mac OX is nice and simple. You buy it either with a computer or for like what $129 and its got everything.

Not to drag this thread too far off base, but do apps that run in XP run well in Vista as a rule of thumb?

M

7. abanks

abanks Hunter

Vista will run your apps provided they have been coded correctly as Vista backward supports .NET 2.0 + 1.1

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  8. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Vista = "Best Microshaft Public Relations Disaster in History"

Why anyone would actually want that bloated candy code and pay good hard earned money for it is beyond me....

9. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

mac OS 10.4.8 rules for Intel Macs

10.5 is no doubt in advanced beta
    you can subscribe as a developer if you want to get the monthly releass

Mac OS used to use hooks big time
    so backward compatabilty was difficut 8 years ago

with any mac as it ages it pays to freeze the OS
    until you buy new hardware

=====================

Win 2000 is a shell - a gui - on WinNT
    Win XP 2 as well

being modular you get more stuff if you pay more

microsoft likes to run digi TVs on their software
    hence "media center"
    also mobile phones
    just $$$$$$$$$$$$ by the truck load

In the same way
    mac intel OS is a GUI shell on a unix box
    (I avoid messing wih it so i don't know which flavour of Unix)

Hugh W