No beta or RC versions for PC????

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by kelobro, Feb 22, 2007.

1. kelobro

kelobro Member

The banner at the top of the forum pages tout "UPDATE RC3 IS NOW AVAILABLE" -- Parallels Desktop for the Mac. When are we going to see a new version for the PC? In other threads it was claimed that the next PC and Mac versions will come out at the same time. It doesn't look like it to me...

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

The longer it goes, the more attractive the alternatives like vmware and virtual box will look.

And not only that, but people who were good supporters of Parallels, will start to talk about the alternatives like vmware and virtual box.

3. JBHorner

JBHorner Bit poster

The current release of the PC version has issues with Vista as well. Indeed, VMWare is looking like a much better alternative. Even though the price is much higher than Parallels, I find that the support is better---even on beta versions.

Joel

4. Roaster

Roaster Member

Hi,

I also guess Parallels has already said GoodBye to the Windows versions.

All promotion is done for the Mac version only and support(?) has vanished, too - and that's it, that's fact from what I and others can see here.

OK, I guess, I made my race with the wrong horse. Virtual PC 2007 is Gold and run's perfectly. I also use VMWare and -Player.

Sadly! It was a promising product so far and unrivalled cheap. VPC 2007 is for free!

5. jrv

jrv Junior Member

The Windows version seems to work quite well under XP for me.

6. jensw

jensw Member

If there isn't any progress in the next 2-3 weeks I think I will have to switch
    completely to Virtual PC 2007. VPC 2007 is free and almost perfectly running on
    my Windows Vista host while Parallels still has lots of problems.

7. Danorske

Danorske Member

Free?? With the cost of Vista I hardly consider it free. And at any rate what good is it for us Linux users/host?
    :eek:

8. jensw

jensw Member

Yes it's just for windows hosts. But as windows is my primary OS I can use it as an
    alternative to parallels. I really like parallels but I think they focus on their mac product.
    If they would offer the same features in the windows/linux version as they offer for
    the macs one I would even buy an upgrade.

9. Danorske

Danorske Member

Ohhh, I bet it will. Version 3 will be out this year. patience my friend.
    Ron

10. chen

chen Bit poster

There is a new boy in town.... have you tested VirtualBox.. go to http://virtualbox.org/
    and tell me what you think.....:)

11. Opus

Opus Bit poster

Virtual Box 1.3.6

I have just tested the new Virtual Box Version 1.3.6, XP as host and Simply Mepis as guest,it went like melting butter.It has got USB 1.1 and 2.0 and shared folders as well and a few other things. The next thing will be to install it in Simply Mepis and XP as guest.I for one can not see any trouble.It's well ahead of the current version of Parallels windows version and it doesn't cost a penny,how bad is that.It worked for me,make it work for you.Don't waste your money any longer.I've come along the Virtualization trail from Win4LinPro and thought here at Parallels,I've found what I was looking for,how wrong I was.
    Virtual Box is the future for most of us.
    If it's free it's me,what about you???

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  12. chen

chen Bit poster

I tested it... and works perfect...

windows XP home as host and Ubuntu as guest... share folders is easy, is fast than
    parallels and VMWare ( for me)... I love it.... in march 15 announce they are
    gonna have MAC OSX too, then I hope VitualBox take care of PC-Linux and not like is
    happening here with parallels... anyway I just swithed.:)

13. Ray

Ray Member

Certainly looks like the Parallels version for Windows/Linux is a dead duck. There are obviously too many Mac users interested in virtualisation for them to even be concerned about the 'early adopters'. Serves me right for being so quick off the mark. The joke is most certainly on me. Disgusted.

Ray

14. jensw

jensw Member

Just playin around with virtual pc... Nice software. Next try will be VirtualBox and then I will decide what to take for the next months/years.
    I'm confused why there are no news for the windows/linux-version of parallels since November 2006. Did they stop development for this the workstation? What about the planned server versions? Also there are no corrections, not even statements, for the open problems/bugs in the current workstation version. I also think parallels could have been the wrong horse to bet on.

Best regards
    Jens