Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) quits (pre Direct 3D)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Kharm, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Kharm

Kharm Bit poster

I have installed a standard install of parallels and Windows XP. Next I installed Jedi Knight - no problems. When loading JK the inital splash screen does not work - shows black and the sound is choppy. Then the menu screens are fine, but trying to load a game results in a crash - sometimes displaying an extremely choppy portion of the inital cutscene before the crash. The error message is

JK.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This is an old game that uses direct X 5.0. Has software rendering option. After googling the topic I saw that someone has run this game under parallels before. Does anyone have any ideas??

Many thanks,

Kharm

2. Kharm

Kharm Bit poster

An update. It is working now. But a little buggy with hardware issues.

CD problem - Seems the CD was the original problem. Perhaps because it had to access CD audio from the CD drive (the JK disc is a hybrid audio/data CD and the CD audio is used during the game)? Anyway there is a workaround so that you don't need the CD in the drive in order to play - once I used the workaround everything loaded OK.

Fullscreen switching - the game usually crashes if I attempt to change between fullscreen and windowed modes while it is active.

Mouse input - I can't seem to get the mouse input captured properly. I get mouse control however it will only go so far left and so far right. Sometimes the mouse pointer is visible on the screen and when it reaches the edge of the screen you can't rotate the player view any further. Am I making sense? Any changes to the input capture status of parallels cause a crash also.

I'll keep looking at it - in the meantime any suggestions are welcome.

:)

3. illovich

illovich Bit poster

try disabling videos

I've seen that some pre-XP games choke because of the movies (Activision Battlezone), not the games themselves. The Battlezone fansites recommend deleting the movie folder I think.

You might want to see if something like that is possible for Jedi Knight.

4. Kharm

Kharm Bit poster

Yes, you are probably right. I think the noCD workaround might have disabled the movies.

Thanks.