Speech Recognition: Software and Microphone

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ijames@mac.com, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hacky

hacky Junior Member

I cannot address all of your questions due to my lack of expertise. I use Dragon 9 Preferred with the NON-USB microphone that came with it. There is a tolerable slight lag.

2. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I am using DNS9.1 now with the Philip's Speech Mike Pro. All works great on Bootcamp and Windows XP. I have not used IListen in several months, since we concluded our evaluation process. Our sense at that time was that accuracy would be satisfactory with either if you used them. I don't know of any metrics that would measure and document this, though. I am waiting to upgrade to Vista in Bootcamp, but the Medical version of DNS9.1 is not yet available from Nuance. It is promised (as always!).

For us, the issue remains with the microphone and the workflow, not the software. If we were to try to go native OSX, we would then have to evaluate the use of Citrix, since our organization is rapidly moving to Citrix for all of our core business and clinical activities. Citrix support OSX just fine, and it works fine with DNS9.1 on Windows. I have not tested IListen on OSX Citrix applications, but that would be important.

Our views have not changed since October and my first post. If you are a fairly casual dictator, and committed to the OSX platform as I am, I think that IListen should work fine. For serious or industrial strength work, until a well thought out microphone for the Mac arrives, Dragon will remain the only reason I keep boot camp working in my otherwise all Mac environment. I really do not understand why some vendor doesn't address the Macintosh microphone issue, but there you have it.

I hope that was helpful.