Hard restart causing problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by brianthomas15, Feb 25, 2007.

1. brianthomas15

brianthomas15 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

Last week I had to hard restart my computer while parallels was running Windows XP. When I tried to reopen it I got the standard "Windows was not properly shut down screen" and it starts the countdown until it restarts normally. The problem is it hits 0 and doesn't start XP again and when I move the arrow to "start windows normally" it doesn't work. I can highlight both safemode and last mode used but neither make windows restart. Can anyone help?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

do you have a clone of your VM?

if a VM gets broken it is sometimes easier just to delete and go to the next clone

Hugh W

3. abanks

abanks Hunter

boot in safe mode and then restart windows this will flush your VM and should solve your problem, no need to delete.

4. brianthomas15

brianthomas15 Bit poster

It won't even boot in safe mode. I can select it and it lists a bunch of scripts but does nothing after.

5. abanks

abanks Hunter

Boot the VM from the Windows disk and choose repair windows this will replace any corrupted files.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Brian

good morning to you.
    abanks is correct, but be warned... this will reset your registery in your winVM and will need to reinstall all applications...

Good luck..

JL

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I tried all of those

easiest to use a clone
    or make a new VM

been there got the T-shirt

my own VM is on (my) version 7.2 since June 2006

Hugh W

8. brianthomas15

brianthomas15 Bit poster

Are there directions on how to do this anywhere? Also, thanks for all of your responses.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007